2009-02-02 10:40:23

by Toralf Förster

Subject: [NFS] QA Notice: for net-fs/nfs-utils-1.1.3

Hello,

I get this during installation under a stable Gentoo system:

* QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile
* fine but exhibit random runtime failures.
* mount_xdr.c:306: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will bre=
ak=20
strict-aliasing rules

* Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
* issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
* Homepage: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/

--=20
MfG/Sincerely

Toralf F=F6rster
pgp finger print: 7B1A 07F4 EC82 0F90 D4C2 8936 872A E508 7DB6 9DA3

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2009-02-02 16:18:19

by Chuck Lever III

Subject: Re: [NFS] QA Notice: for net-fs/nfs-utils-1.1.3

Hallo-

On Feb 2, 2009, at 5:39 AM, Toralf F=F6rster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get this during installation under a stable Gentoo system:
>
> * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile
> * fine but exhibit random runtime failures.
> * mount_xdr.c:306: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will =20
> break
> strict-aliasing rules
>
> * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
> * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
> * Homepage: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/

mount_xdr.c is created mechanically by the rpcgen tool. The problem =20
is most likely in rpcgen and not in nfs-utils. We have -Wall enabled =20
in nfs-utils makefiles to catch problems in code that actual humans =20
wrote, but it also reports issues in the machine-generated source files=
=2E

We haven't had any firm reports of run-time problems in this area. Do =
=20
you (or does GenToo) have any reproducers that expose a run-time =20
problem?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com