2009-04-23 12:38:05

by Kasparek Tomas

Subject: Client NFS pachtes workflow

Hi,

while searching some more info for my problems with 2.6.27.x & client
packet flow & lockd, I tried to find the flow of patches for NFS clients.
For older one, there are dierctories in
http://www.linux-nfs.org/Linux-2.6.x/ (up to 28-rc9). Does it mean patches
in 2.7.27 originated in time after 2.6.27 was out and were included in
28-rc5 (next dir). Some of the patches seem to correct bugs, do they get
into 27.x by default or is it necessary to ask somewhere (GregKH)?

I found http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=trondmy/nfs-2.6.git, but that seems to
be just tracking branches, is it possible to use that tree to track NFS
client changes easily? (I'm not git power user so maybe it's just about
knowing the right command).

--

Tomas Kasparek, PhD student E-mail: [email protected]
CVT FIT VUT Brno, L127 Web: http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~kasparek

jabber: [email protected]
GPG: 2F1E 1AAF FD3B CFA3 1537 63BD DCBE 18FF A035 53BC

2009-04-23 13:18:09

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: Client NFS pachtes workflow

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 14:38 +0200, Kasparek Tomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while searching some more info for my problems with 2.6.27.x & client
> packet flow & lockd, I tried to find the flow of patches for NFS clients.
> For older one, there are dierctories in
> http://www.linux-nfs.org/Linux-2.6.x/ (up to 28-rc9). Does it mean patches
> in 2.7.27 originated in time after 2.6.27 was out and were included in
> 28-rc5 (next dir). Some of the patches seem to correct bugs, do they get
> into 27.x by default or is it necessary to ask somewhere (GregKH)?

The main method of tracking patches is rather through the git tree. The
patches on client.linux-nfs.org are only being sporadically updated.
However, yes, the patches in the 2.6.27 subdir are meant to be applied
to 2.6.27. Some of the bugfixes will find their way into the -stable
series, but not all (it depends on how serious the bug is, and how
intrusive the fix is).

> I found http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=trondmy/nfs-2.6.git, but that seems to
> be just tracking branches, is it possible to use that tree to track NFS
> client changes easily? (I'm not git power user so maybe it's just about
> knowing the right command).

You can find the stuff that is considered merge-ready in the linux-next
branch. Just pull it into your main branch.
i.e. something like

git clone git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/trondmy/nfs-2.6.git
git checkout -b testing
git merge origin/linux-next

Trond

2009-04-23 14:10:11

by Kasparek Tomas

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 09:18:05AM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 14:38 +0200, Kasparek Tomas wrote:

> > while searching some more info for my problems with 2.6.27.x & client
> > packet flow & lockd, I tried to find the flow of patches for NFS clients.
> > For older one, there are dierctories in
> > http://www.linux-nfs.org/Linux-2.6.x/ (up to 28-rc9). Does it mean patches
> > in 2.7.27 originated in time after 2.6.27 was out and were included in
> > 28-rc5 (next dir). Some of the patches seem to correct bugs, do they get
> > into 27.x by default or is it necessary to ask somewhere (GregKH)?
>
> The main method of tracking patches is rather through the git tree. The
> patches on client.linux-nfs.org are only being sporadically updated.
> However, yes, the patches in the 2.6.27 subdir are meant to be applied
> to 2.6.27. Some of the bugfixes will find their way into the -stable
> series, but not all (it depends on how serious the bug is, and how
> intrusive the fix is).

Ok, will try to play with git and for my troubles will try to build a
kernel with these patches to see if anything (lockd or floods) works better.

Thanks.