2009-10-14 19:26:19

by Matt Garman

Subject: [NFS] mount nfs4 w/krb5 on CentOS 4.x

I am trying to deploy Kerberos-authenticated NFSv4 on CentOS 4.x
(basically, RHEL4).

For the most part, I've followed this document:

http://www.itp.uzh.ch/~dpotter/howto/kerberos

Except that I ignored the LDAP stuff (which I don't need, only
krb5+nfs4). Here's what happens when I try to mount:

# mount -v -t nfs4 -o sec=krb5 192.168.187.75:/share mnt
mount: pinging: prog 100003 vers 4 prot tcp port 2049
mount: block device 192.168.187.75:/share is write-protected,
mounting read-only
mount: pinging: prog 100003 vers 4 prot tcp port 2049
mount: cannot mount block device 192.168.187.75:/share read-only

There is no firewall running on any of the machines.

Here is the /etc/exports file on 192.168.187.75:

/export gss/krb5(sync,rw,fsid=0,insecure,no_subtree_check,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
/export/share gss/krb5(sync,rw,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)

Here is what rpcinfo shows:

# rpcinfo -p 192.168.187.75
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 697 status
100024 1 tcp 700 status
100011 1 udp 864 rquotad
100011 2 udp 864 rquotad
100011 1 tcp 867 rquotad
100011 2 tcp 867 rquotad
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 32778 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 32778 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 32778 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 35837 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 35837 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 35837 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 880 mountd
100005 1 tcp 883 mountd
100005 2 udp 880 mountd
100005 2 tcp 883 mountd
100005 3 udp 880 mountd
100005 3 tcp 883 mountd

Both the server and the client have NFSv4 capability according to
"fgrep nfs4 /proc/kallsyms" (well, at least running that command
returned 240 lines).

If I try to execute that same mount command on the server
(192.168.187.75) itself, I get:

# mount -v -t nfs4 -o sec=krb5 192.168.187.75:/share mnttmp/
Warning: rpc.gssd appears not to be running.
mount: pinging: prog 100003 vers 4 prot tcp port 2049

And then it hangs. Literally forever: None of Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z, or
kill -9 will stop the program.

One note: the page I linked above has this note:

"NFSv4 using Kerberos authentication in RHEL4 seems to be broken
with the latest patch level. When I find a solution it will be
posted here. LDAP and Kerberos for authentication of users
works fine."

Since the document hasn't been updated for over a year, I was hoping
this note was obsolete... but even if it is still true (which it may
well be), it doesn't say which component causes the breakage (e.g.
kernel, kerberos, nfs-utils, etc). In other words, can I just
recompile a newer version of a package or two to get around any
RHEL4/CentOS4 breakages?

If anyone is willing to provide some hand-holding, it would be much
appreciated!

Thank you,
Matt

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2009-10-15 08:00:34

by Ondrej Valousek

Subject: Re: [NFS] mount nfs4 w/krb5 on CentOS 4.x

Basically, I have never tried this with RHEL-4 and I would not recommend
you it either as NFSv4 in RHEL-4 seems to be quite unstable and might
cause your machine to crash with kernel panic. I would recommend
RHEL/CentOS 5 for this kind of test.

If you want to pursue it anyway, turn on debugging of rpc.svcgssd
(server) and rpc.gssd on the client - it will tell you more.

Ondrej