2012-01-19 13:57:25

by Lukas Hejtmanek

Subject: NFSv4 and high-availability

Hello,

are there currently any options for HA setups with NFSv4? Is it possible to
migrate an NFSv4 klient from one server to another one on the fly? (Without
remount, closing all apps, and so on, in the case that all NFSv4 servers share
the same storage).

I know it could be possible to migrate IP address from a crashed NFSv4 server
to another one, but this solution seems to be a last resort for us. Are there
any options client based?

--
Luk?? Hejtm?nek

2012-01-19 17:23:18

by Malahal Naineni

Subject: Re: NFSv4 and high-availability

Lukas Hejtmanek [[email protected]] wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 03:52:30PM +0100, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> > Yes. You can setup a NFSv4 cluster using a cluster manager like pacemaker.
> >
> > Last time I set it up there were some issues with locking and timeouts. I
> > don't know if this is already fixed. I'd have to try it myself again.
>
> but this seems to be the mentioned server side HA mode. But can I move running
> client to another server (with anoter different IP)?

Not possible today. There are some patches out there for migration but
you will have to wait until some current problems with migration are
resolved and the solution gets accepted upstream.

2012-01-19 15:01:22

by Michael Schwartzkopff

> Hello,
>
> are there currently any options for HA setups with NFSv4? Is it possible to
> migrate an NFSv4 klient from one server to another one on the fly? (Without
> remount, closing all apps, and so on, in the case that all NFSv4 servers
> share the same storage).
>
> I know it could be possible to migrate IP address from a crashed NFSv4
> server to another one, but this solution seems to be a last resort for us.
> Are there any options client based?

Yes. You can setup a NFSv4 cluster using a cluster manager like pacemaker.

Last time I set it up there were some issues with locking and timeouts. I
don't know if this is already fixed. I'd have to try it myself again.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98
Fax: (089) 620 304 13

Attachments:
signature.asc (198.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part.

2012-01-19 15:50:07

by Lukas Hejtmanek