2012-06-05 09:03:26

by Johannes Schild

Subject: Block-Layout

Hi Guys,

after i got the Object-Layout to work (Thanks to Boaz :D)
My next goal to achieve is the Block-Layout.
I know its deprecated, Boaz told me too, but i need it for my paper.
Could someone tell me which was the last working kernel and sources which works?

I would be very grateful if someone has further tips/tricks or documentation ;)

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Johannes

by Johannes Schild

Subject: Re: Block-Layout

So lets ask Benny ;)

Can you give me a hint about the most usable block-layout code?

Best Regards

Johannes

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 07:04:37 -0400
> Von: Jim Rees <[email protected]>
> An: Boaz Harrosh <[email protected]>
> CC: Johannes Schild <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: Block-Layout

> Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>
> On 06/05/2012 12:03 PM, Johannes Schild wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > after i got the Object-Layout to work (Thanks to Boaz :D)
> > My next goal to achieve is the Block-Layout.
> > I know its deprecated, Boaz told me too, but i need it for my paper.
> > Could someone tell me which was the last working kernel and sources
> which works?
> >

> You mean the Server right? The client is very much alive.
>
> I'm not sure what was the last spnfsd-blocks that worked? Jim?
>
> I don't know. I would ask Benny.

by Benny Halevy

Sorry for the late response.
Unfortunately, I don't think the reference server implementation could ever work
reliably for writes. The gist of it is that it uses fallocate() to allocate new blocks
and these are marked unintialized. Since LAYOUTCOMMIT is not handled by the file system
they are never marked as initialized and therefore they are read as containing zero
by the MDS. So, for read-only, you can try pnfs-all-3.3.

Benny

On 2012-06-06 10:49, Johannes Schild wrote:
> So lets ask Benny ;)
>
> Can you give me a hint about the most usable block-layout code?
>

> Best Regards
>
> Johannes
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 07:04:37 -0400
>> Von: Jim Rees <[email protected]>
>> An: Boaz Harrosh <[email protected]>
>> CC: Johannes Schild <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>> Betreff: Re: Block-Layout
>
>> Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>>
>> On 06/05/2012 12:03 PM, Johannes Schild wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > after i got the Object-Layout to work (Thanks to Boaz :D)
>> > My next goal to achieve is the Block-Layout.
>> > I know its deprecated, Boaz told me too, but i need it for my paper.
>> > Could someone tell me which was the last working kernel and sources
>> which works?
>> >

>> You mean the Server right? The client is very much alive.
>>
>> I'm not sure what was the last spnfsd-blocks that worked? Jim?
>>
>> I don't know. I would ask Benny.
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Boaz Harrosh

On 06/05/2012 12:03 PM, Johannes Schild wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> after i got the Object-Layout to work (Thanks to Boaz :D)
> My next goal to achieve is the Block-Layout.
> I know its deprecated, Boaz told me too, but i need it for my paper.
> Could someone tell me which was the last working kernel and sources which works?

You mean the Server right? The client is very much alive.

I'm not sure what was the last spnfsd-blocks that worked? Jim?

> I would be very grateful if someone has further tips/tricks or documentation ;)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best Regards
> Johannes

Boaz

2012-06-05 09:52:13

by Johannes Schild

Yes i mean the server, sorry i forgot to mention it... ;/

Best Regards

Johannes

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 12:41:48 +0300
> Von: Boaz Harrosh <[email protected]>
> An: Johannes Schild <[email protected]>
> CC: [email protected], Jim Rees <[email protected]>
> Betreff: Re: Block-Layout

> On 06/05/2012 12:03 PM, Johannes Schild wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > after i got the Object-Layout to work (Thanks to Boaz :D)
> > My next goal to achieve is the Block-Layout.
> > I know its deprecated, Boaz told me too, but i need it for my paper.
> > Could someone tell me which was the last working kernel and sources
> which works?
> >

> You mean the Server right? The client is very much alive.
>
> I'm not sure what was the last spnfsd-blocks that worked? Jim?
>
> > I would be very grateful if someone has further tips/tricks or
> documentation ;)
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Johannes