2015-04-07 12:05:59

by Benjamin ESTRABAUD

Subject: pNFS setup documentation.

Hi!

I'm trying to setup a pNFS cluster, but I'm unable to find any
meaningful documentation about it.

I understand I have to setup a bunch of NFSv4.1 enabled systems as well
as a Metadata service and a "layout agent" on the client nodes but I'm
not able to find any infos about setting up the Metadata service or even
the layout agent, nor am I able to find information about what version
of the nfsutils I should use.

Is there a nice documentation that I could use somewhere (Any
distribution is fine, I can adapt).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,
Ben - MPSTOR.

2015-04-07 21:40:31

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: pNFS setup documentation.

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 12:59:17PM +0100, Benjamin ESTRABAUD wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a pNFS cluster, but I'm unable to find any
> meaningful documentation about it.
>
> I understand I have to setup a bunch of NFSv4.1 enabled systems as
> well as a Metadata service and a "layout agent" on the client nodes
> but I'm not able to find any infos about setting up the Metadata
> service or even the layout agent, nor am I able to find information
> about what version of the nfsutils I should use.
>
> Is there a nice documentation that I could use somewhere (Any
> distribution is fine, I can adapt).
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

The only all-linux pNFS implementations have been out-of-tree
prototypes. The exception is Christoph's block server, just merged.

I put some very rough instructions (and warnings) here:

http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/PNFS_block_server_setup

--b.