2020-11-25 00:03:08

by Chuck Lever

Subject: NFSD merge candidate for v5.11

Hi-

I've added my NFSv4 XDR decoder series and Bruce's iversion
series to my "for next" topic branch to get some early
testing exposure for these changes.

Bruce's series is based on 8/8 posted on November 20, with
Jeff's review comments integrated. The NFSD XDR decoder
patches are based on v4, posted yesterday afternoon with
Bruce's review comments integrated.

The full branch is available here:

git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/cel/cel-2.6.git cel-next

or

http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cel-next

...and is still open for changes or additional patches. This
branch is pulled into linux-next regularly.

--
Chuck Lever

2020-11-25 00:03:52

by Jeff Layton

Subject: Re: NFSD merge candidate for v5.11

On Tue, 2020-11-24 at 17:51 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I've added my NFSv4 XDR decoder series and Bruce's iversion
> series to my "for next" topic branch to get some early
> testing exposure for these changes.
>
> Bruce's series is based on 8/8 posted on November 20, with
> Jeff's review comments integrated. The NFSD XDR decoder
> patches are based on v4, posted yesterday afternoon with
> Bruce's review comments integrated.
>
> The full branch is available here:
>
>   git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/cel/cel-2.6.git cel-next
>
> or
>
>   http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cel-next
>
> ...and is still open for changes or additional patches. This
> branch is pulled into linux-next regularly.

Minor nit in:

http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=commit;h=2513716015eba398378bf453d5d2dd46c63a3399

You added a generic_check_iversion prototype to fs.h.

Move that into iversion.h. I think it makes more sense there, and that
avoids the huge rebuild that occurs when fs.h changes.

Cheers!
--
Jeff Layton <[email protected]>

2020-11-25 00:37:19

by Chuck Lever

> On Nov 24, 2020, at 6:14 PM, Jeff Layton <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2020-11-24 at 17:51 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
>> Hi-
>>
>> I've added my NFSv4 XDR decoder series and Bruce's iversion
>> series to my "for next" topic branch to get some early
>> testing exposure for these changes.
>>
>> Bruce's series is based on 8/8 posted on November 20, with
>> Jeff's review comments integrated. The NFSD XDR decoder
>> patches are based on v4, posted yesterday afternoon with
>> Bruce's review comments integrated.
>>
>> The full branch is available here:
>>
>> git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/cel/cel-2.6.git cel-next
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cel-next
>>
>> ...and is still open for changes or additional patches. This
>> branch is pulled into linux-next regularly.
>
> Minor nit in:
>
> http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=commit;h=2513716015eba398378bf453d5d2dd46c63a3399
>
> You added a generic_check_iversion prototype to fs.h.
>
> Move that into iversion.h. I think it makes more sense there, and that
> avoids the huge rebuild that occurs when fs.h changes.

Declarations for most other generic_* functions are in fs.h.
But OK, moved, and the series pushed.

So I think the btrfs/ext4/xfs-specific changes might need
sign-off by those maintainers. Should I post this series
to linux-fsdevel? Or, Bruce, do you want to?

--
Chuck Lever

2020-11-25 15:06:08

by J. Bruce Fields

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 07:36:21PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:

> > On Nov 24, 2020, at 6:14 PM, Jeff Layton <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2020-11-24 at 17:51 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> >> Hi-
> >>
> >> I've added my NFSv4 XDR decoder series and Bruce's iversion
> >> series to my "for next" topic branch to get some early
> >> testing exposure for these changes.
> >>
> >> Bruce's series is based on 8/8 posted on November 20, with
> >> Jeff's review comments integrated. The NFSD XDR decoder
> >> patches are based on v4, posted yesterday afternoon with
> >> Bruce's review comments integrated.
> >>
> >> The full branch is available here:
> >>
> >> git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/cel/cel-2.6.git cel-next
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >> http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cel-next
> >>
> >> ...and is still open for changes or additional patches. This
> >> branch is pulled into linux-next regularly.
> >
> > Minor nit in:
> >
> > http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/cel-2.6.git;a=commit;h=2513716015eba398378bf453d5d2dd46c63a3399
> >
> > You added a generic_check_iversion prototype to fs.h.
> >
> > Move that into iversion.h. I think it makes more sense there, and that
> > avoids the huge rebuild that occurs when fs.h changes.
>
> Declarations for most other generic_* functions are in fs.h.
> But OK, moved, and the series pushed.
>
> So I think the btrfs/ext4/xfs-specific changes might need
> sign-off by those maintainers.

And nfs, I think that's the one I'm mostly likely to have messed up,
actually....

> Should I post this series to linux-fsdevel? Or, Bruce, do you want to?

I think I should do it.

--b.

2020-11-30 19:51:18

by J. Bruce Fields

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 09:56:17AM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 07:36:21PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> > Declarations for most other generic_* functions are in fs.h.
> > But OK, moved, and the series pushed.
> >
> > So I think the btrfs/ext4/xfs-specific changes might need
> > sign-off by those maintainers.
>
> And nfs, I think that's the one I'm mostly likely to have messed up,
> actually....
>
> > Should I post this series to linux-fsdevel? Or, Bruce, do you want to?
>
> I think I should do it.

I resent, and just left out the patches that touch btrfs, ext4, xfs, and
nfs. Those can go in later.

--b.