2022-07-20 18:20:21

by Attila Kovacs

Subject: ibtirpc connect deadlock (part 1)

Hi,

We are using the tirpc library in an MT environment. We are experiencing
occasional deadlocks when calling clnt_create_timed() concurrently from
multiple threads. When this happens, all connect threads hang, with each
thread taking up 100% CPU.

I was peeking at the code (release 1.3.2), and some potential problems I
see is how waiting / signaling is implemented on cu->cu_fd_lock.cv in
clnt_dg.c and clnt_vc.c.

1. In cnlt_dg_freeres() and clnt_vc_freeres(), cond_signal() is called
after unlocking the mutex (clnt_fd_lock). The manual of
pthread_cond_signal() allows that, but mentions that for consistent
scheduling, cond_signal() should be called with the waiting mutex
locked. (i.e. lock -> signal -> unlock, rather than lock -> unlock ->
signal).

One of the dangers of signaling with the unlocked mutex, is that in MT,
another thread can lock the mutex before the signal call is made, and
potentially destroy the condition variable (e.g. an asynchronous call to
clnt_*_destroy()). Thus, by the time the signal() is called in
clnt*_freeres(), both the condition may be invalid.

The proper sequence here should be:

[...]
mutex_lock(&clnt_fd_lock);
while (ct->ct_fd_lock->active)
cond_wait(&ct->ct_fd_lock->cv, &clnt_fd_lock);
xdrs->x_op = XDR_FREE;
dummy = (*xdr_res)(xdrs, res_ptr);
thr_sigsetmask(SIG_SETMASK, &(mask), NULL);
cond_signal(&ct->ct_fd_lock->cv);
mutex_unlock(&clnt_fd_lock);

2. Similar issue in the macro release_fd_lock() in both the vc and dg
sources. Here again the sequence ought to be:

#define release_fd_lock(fd_lock, mask) { \
mutex_lock(&clnt_fd_lock); \
fd_lock->active = FALSE; \
thr_sigsetmask(SIG_SETMASK, &(mask), (sigset_t *) NULL); \
cond_signal(&fd_lock->cv); \
mutex_unlock(&clnt_fd_lock); \
}

3. The use of cond_wait() in clnt_dg.c and clnt_vc.c is also unprotected
against the asynchronous destruction of the condition variable, since
cond_wait() releases the mutex as it enters the waiting state. So, when
it is called again in the while() loop, the condtion might no longer
exist. Thus, before calling cond_wait(), one should check that the
client is valid (not destroyed) inside the wait loop.

I'm not sure if these particular issues are the cause of the deadlocks
we see, but I think they are problematic enough on their own, and
perhaps should be fixed in the next release.

Thanks,

-- Attila