2023-12-06 03:33:39

by Dan Shelton

Subject: Linux NFSv4 client: open() AlternateDataStreams via ioctl()?

Hello!
We know that Linux will never implement AlternateDataStreams, but as
we need it and need access to these data, could the Linux NFSv4 client
add a ioctl() to request a fd to an ADS?
--
Dan

2024-01-02 23:22:19

by Trond Myklebust

On Tue, 2024-01-02 at 01:39 +0100, Dan Shelton wrote:
> [You don't often get email from [email protected]. Learn why
> this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]
>
> ?
>
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 at 04:33, Dan Shelton <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> > We know that Linux will never implement AlternateDataStreams, but
> > as
> > we need it and need access to these data, could the Linux NFSv4
> > client
> > add a ioctl() to request a fd to an ADS?

An ioctl() would require you to have permission to open the file before
you would be allowed to try to access the named attribute directory
(which depends on a separate set of permissions in the NFSv4 ACL
model). I don't see why we would deliberately add an implementation
that is broken.

If we need to add support for NFSv4 named attributes, then we should
have a discussion about adding support for the O_XATTR flag.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace