2008-03-26 03:27:37

by Timothy Shimmin

Subject: Re: [opensuse] nfs_update_inode: inode X mode changed, Y to Z

Hi Neil,

NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, March 26, 2008 8:24 am, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek wrote:
>
>> Unless you specify the "ikeep" mount option, XFS will remove unused inode
>> clusters. The newly freed blocks can be then used to store data or
>> possibly
>> a new inode cluster. If the blocks get reused for inodes, you'll end up
>> with inodes whose generation numbers regressed. (inode number = f(block
>> number))
>>
>> Using the "ikeep" mount option causes to _never_ free empty inode
>> clusters.
>> This means that if you create many files and then unlink them, you'll end
>> up
>> with many unused inodes that are still allocated (and taking up disk
>> space)
>> but free to be used by the next creat(2)/mkdir(2)/etc..
>>
>> This "problem" is inherent to any file system which dynamically allocates
>> inodes.
>
> Yes, I understand all that.
>
> However you still need to do something about the generation number. It
> must be set to something.
>
> When you allocate an inode that doesn't currently exist on the device,
> you obviously cannot increment the old value and use that.
> However you can do a lot better than always using 0.

Yes, this is a known problem.
We came across it in about August last year I believe in the context of
DMF as it wants to keep persistent file handles with gen#s in them:
SGI bug:
969192: Default mount option "noikeep" makes the inode generation number non-persistent
I vaguely remember at the time that a number of different schemes were
tossed around but in the end we just turned off the ikeep
for DMAPI mounted filesystems.
I thought we had a bug open to do a real fix but can't see
it at the moment. Will look into it and discuss with our group.

Cheers,
--Tim