2008-04-10 15:17:48

by Chuck Lever III

Subject: Re: NFS: unknown mount option: grpid

On Apr 10, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Peter Staubach wrote:
> Chuck Lever wrote:
>> Hi Jan-
>>
>> On Apr 10, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Jan Sanders wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have come across a little NFS problem.
>>>
>>> My nfs client, a Ubuntu-Hardy machine with nfs-common-1.1.2 tries to
>>> mount a directory but fails complaining
>>>
>>> Apr 10 12:18:34 sorpe kernel: [ 490.911951]NFS: unknown mount
>>> option: grpid
>>>
>>> The mount options are rw,nosuid,grpid. The mount is done by
>>> autofs but
>>> trying to mount the directory usdin the same options rw,nosuid,grpid
>>> results in the same error.
>>> I checked using strace that the mount call was indeed done using
>>> grpid.
>>> The mount call returns with EINVAL invalis argument.
>>>
>>> From strace:
>>> mount("nfs-server:/volumes/www", "/vol/www", "nfs", MS_NOSUID,
>>> "grpid,addr=192.168.0.123") = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
>>>

>> grpid isn't a valid NFS mount option; it's valid only for xfs and
>> ext2/3, according to mount(8).
>>
>> I can't explain why the earlier version of mount.nfs didn't
>> complain about it.
>>

> I thought that the NFS mount command was supposed to ignore
> mount options that it didn't understand. It could perhaps
> give a warning message, but should mount anyway.
>
> I thought that this behavior was useful for automounter
> applications which have to be able to share maps in a
> heterogeneous environment.

Well, it does ignore legacy NFS mount options that are no longer
supported.

However, I was not aware of a requirement for NFS mount to ignore all
options it doesn't understand.

It's easy enough to add, I suppose. Community opinion?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2008-04-14 12:34:35

by Jan Sanders

Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Peter Staubach wrote:
>
>> Chuck Lever wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jan-

>>> grpid isn't a valid NFS mount option; it's valid only for xfs and
>>> ext2/3, according to mount(8).
>>>
>>> I can't explain why the earlier version of mount.nfs didn't
>>> complain about it.
>>>

>> I thought that the NFS mount command was supposed to ignore
>> mount options that it didn't understand. It could perhaps
>> give a warning message, but should mount anyway.
>>
>> I thought that this behavior was useful for automounter
>> applications which have to be able to share maps in a
>> heterogeneous environment.
>>

> Well, it does ignore legacy NFS mount options that are no longer
> supported.
>
> However, I was not aware of a requirement for NFS mount to ignore all
> options it doesn't understand.
>
> It's easy enough to add, I suppose. Community opinion?
Needless to say that I would opine for it :-D

cheers

Jan S.

tnx for your help so far btw!

2008-04-10 15:35:14

by J. Bruce Fields

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:17:48AM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Peter Staubach wrote:
> > Chuck Lever wrote:
> >> Hi Jan-

> >> grpid isn't a valid NFS mount option; it's valid only for xfs and
> >> ext2/3, according to mount(8).
> >>
> >> I can't explain why the earlier version of mount.nfs didn't
> >> complain about it.
> >>

> > I thought that the NFS mount command was supposed to ignore
> > mount options that it didn't understand. It could perhaps
> > give a warning message, but should mount anyway.
> >
> > I thought that this behavior was useful for automounter
> > applications which have to be able to share maps in a
> > heterogeneous environment.
>

> Well, it does ignore legacy NFS mount options that are no longer
> supported.
>
> However, I was not aware of a requirement for NFS mount to ignore all
> options it doesn't understand.
>
> It's easy enough to add, I suppose. Community opinion?

This is exactly what "-s" ("sloppy") is supposed to do, right? At
least, that's what "man mount" says.

--b.

2008-04-10 16:07:46

by Steve Dickson

J. Bruce Fields wrote:

>> However, I was not aware of a requirement for NFS mount to ignore all
>> options it doesn't understand.
>>
>> It's easy enough to add, I suppose. Community opinion?
>
> This is exactly what "-s" ("sloppy") is supposed to do, right? At
> least, that's what "man mount" says.
Not exactly... Looking at the code it seems '-s' will cause the mount.nfs
command to ignore unknown _nfs_ options. In this case it appears the
sys_mount call is failing which something different.

steved.