2010-06-08 11:46:54

by Shehjar Tikoo

Subject: Returning error to app on TCP disconnect

Hi all

I am working on a setup where when a nfsv3 server goes down, the dd that
is running on the NFS mount point, gets an error on any syscall
performed on that mount point, say a write () to a file on that mount.

I've tried setting the timeo and retrans options at mount but that does
not seem to work in this case. The how-to on linux-nfs site confirms
that the nfs client just waits for the server to come back up after
retrans number of requests.

Is there a way to have the app receive an EIO or any other error on TCP
disconnect?

Thanks
-Shehjar

2010-06-08 12:10:12

by Christopher Hawkins

Subject: Re: Returning error to app on TCP disconnect

Hi Shejar, what about the "soft" mount option on the client side, and possibly "intr"? Maybe I am misunderstanding your goal but it sounds like that is what you want.

Chris