2008-10-30 12:51:50

by jim owens

Subject: Re: [patch 0/9] writeback data integrity and other fixes (take 3)

Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:56:36AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

>>> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/fsync.html
>>>
>>> Is a pointer to what seems to be the official posix spec for this - it
>>> is definitely per file descriptor, not per file system, etc...
>>>
>> Maybe I'm reading Jamie's question wrong, but I think he's saying:
>>
>> /* open exactly the same file twice */
>> fd = open("file");
>> fd2 = open("file");
>>
>> write(fd, "stuff")
>> write(fd2, "more stuff")
>> fsync(fd);
>>
>> Does the fsync promise "more stuff" will be on disk? I think the answer
>> should be yes.
>
> I think so. And this is in the context of making ->fsync an inode
> operation and avoid the NFS NULL-file problem... I don't think there
> is any fd specific metadata that fsync has to deal with? Any other
> reasons it has to be a file operation?

NO, or at least *not the posix definition*. It is normal
in unix-like operating systems to always flush everything
dirty on the inode no matter what stream it arrived on.

Flushing everything is permitted but not the requirement so
applications must not expect this is *promised* or they
will not be portable. It is only guaranteed that "stuff"
in this example will be on disk.

AFAIK the fsync semantic comes from the days of dinosaurs,
mainframes, and minicomputers... when a lot of operating
systems had user-space libraries that buffered the I/O.
On fsync(fd), the "fd2" data would still be in user-space.

jim

2008-10-30 13:41:18

by Jim Rees

jim owens wrote:

AFAIK the fsync semantic comes from the days of dinosaurs,
mainframes, and minicomputers... when a lot of operating
systems had user-space libraries that buffered the I/O.
On fsync(fd), the "fd2" data would still be in user-space.

User space buffering happens in stdio, which is above the system call
level. It's been that way since fsync() was first introduced, and is still
that way today.