2009-03-12 01:46:35

by Kevin Constantine

Subject: nfsstat --sleep=#

I'd really like to have a way to output the nfsstat counters at regular
intervals (every 3 seconds) where the output is the difference between 3
seconds ago and now. Frequently I'll run a test and want to watch the
nfs call profile throughout the course of the test.

Does something like this already exist?
Are there objections to seeing a feature like this?

I'm thinking something like:
nfsstat --sleep=1

nfs v3 call: Server Client
total: 0 3476
null: 0 0
getattr: 0 1679
setattr: 0 0
lookup: 0 839
access: 0 839
readlink: 0 0
read: 0 0
write: 0 0
create: 0 0
mkdir: 0 0
symlink: 0 0
mknod: 0 0
remove: 0 0
rmdir: 0 0
rename: 0 0
link: 0 0
readdir: 0 0
readdirplus: 0 0
fsstat: 0 119
fsinfo: 0 0
pathconf: 0 0
commit: 0 0

2009-03-12 01:54:06

by Greg Banks

Subject: Re: nfsstat --sleep=#

Kevin Constantine wrote:
> I'd really like to have a way to output the nfsstat counters at
> regular intervals (every 3 seconds) where the output is the difference
> between 3 seconds ago and now. Frequently I'll run a test and want to
> watch the nfs call profile throughout the course of the test.
>
> Does something like this already exist?
> Are there objections to seeing a feature like this?

I wrote some patches a couple of years back to do that. I'll see if I
can dig 'em up.

--
Greg Banks, P.Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
the brightly coloured sporks of revolution.

2009-03-12 01:58:52

by Kevin Constantine

It seems like everyone has a patch or a script that does this sort of
thing. It'd be great if it was just a part of nfsstat the way that
vmstat, and iostat print differences on a regular basis.

Greg Banks wrote:
> Kevin Constantine wrote:
>> I'd really like to have a way to output the nfsstat counters at
>> regular intervals (every 3 seconds) where the output is the difference
>> between 3 seconds ago and now. Frequently I'll run a test and want to
>> watch the nfs call profile throughout the course of the test.
>>
>> Does something like this already exist?
>> Are there objections to seeing a feature like this?
>
> I wrote some patches a couple of years back to do that. I'll see if I
> can dig 'em up.

Kevin Constantine

Systems Engineer t: 818.460.8221
Walt Disney Animation Studios e: kevin.constantine-P5ys19MLBK/[email protected]

- Arthur C. Clarke