2009-03-24 02:50:25

by Greg Banks

Subject: Re: NFS4 ACL <-> Posix ACL

Alex Bremer wrote:
> [...]
> Would the inheritance work if we
> used a fully NFS4-ACL compatible filesystem? Is there any for Linux?

There are patches to make ext3 and XFS natively NFSv4 ACL aware. The
XFS patches have been shipping in an SGI product for some months now.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/nfs/nfs4acl/

I believe GPFS2 from IBM has native NFSv4 ACL support too.

--
Greg Banks, P.Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
the brightly coloured sporks of revolution.

2009-03-24 12:09:01

by Alex Bremer

2009/3/24, Greg Banks <[email protected]>:
> Alex Bremer wrote:
>> [...]
>> Would the inheritance work if we
>> used a fully NFS4-ACL compatible filesystem? Is there any for Linux?
>>

> There are patches to make ext3 and XFS natively NFSv4 ACL aware. The
> XFS patches have been shipping in an SGI product for some months now.
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/nfs/nfs4acl/

Thanks for that link. I will have a closer look at it.

But if I understood J. Bruce Fields correctly an NFS4-ACL compliant
filesystem wouldn't fix the inheritance problem, too because either
the server has to know the umask or the client has to lookup the
directory ACLs. So there would be no real advantage of using NFS4-ACLs
- most things can be done with PosixACLs.

I really begin to hate these umask settings. From my point of view
these settings should only be used as a last resort fallback.
Filesystem inheritance ACLs should always have precedence.

Alex