2010-08-30 13:57:38

by David Mudrich

Subject: Re: AUFS triggers Kernel BUG() in nfs_do_writepage (write.c:276)

Am 30.08.2010 09:41, schrieb [email protected]:
> David Mudrich:
>> I attached the information you asked for. It seems difficult to have a
>> realistic test without AUFS, as it is mounted at the root directory.
> Thanx.
> It is difficult for me too.
> Although I am not confident, these commits (from latest mainline) are
> worth to try. If you have no way other than this, you should try.
>

> J. R. Okajima

Hello,

I applied the patch, same issue.
I attached dmesg | tail -n 50.

I just tried nfsvers=2 and it works.
The problem must be connected with nfs3 writeback.

A copy of this mail goes to the linux-nfs list, maybe they can help to
further narrow this.

Regards

David Mudrich

Attachments:
log.txt (2.59 kB)

2010-08-30 17:28:48

by Chuck Lever III

On Aug 30, 2010, at 9:57 AM, David Mudrich wrote:

> Am 30.08.2010 09:41, schrieb [email protected]:
>> David Mudrich:
>>> I attached the information you asked for. It seems difficult to have a
>>> realistic test without AUFS, as it is mounted at the root directory.
>> Thanx.
>> It is difficult for me too.
>> Although I am not confident, these commits (from latest mainline) are
>> worth to try. If you have no way other than this, you should try.
>>

>> J. R. Okajima
>>
> Hello,
>
> I applied the patch, same issue.
> I attached dmesg | tail -n 50.
>
> I just tried nfsvers=2 and it works.
> The problem must be connected with nfs3 writeback.

Two-phase NFSv3 writes are not like most other file system implementations, so it's not surprising that AUFS might be tripped up.

A possible workaround: If you specify the "sync" mount option when the client mounts the NFS server, it will disable UNSTABLE NFSv3 writes.

--
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2010-08-30 19:22:55

by David Mudrich

Am 30.08.2010 19:28, schrieb Chuck Lever:
> On Aug 30, 2010, at 9:57 AM, David Mudrich wrote:
>
>> Am 30.08.2010 09:41, schrieb [email protected]:
>>> David Mudrich:
>>> Thanx.
>>> It is difficult for me too.
>>> Although I am not confident, these commits (from latest mainline) are
>>> worth to try. If you have no way other than this, you should try.
>>>

>>> J. R. Okajima
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I applied the patch, same issue.
>> I attached dmesg | tail -n 50.
>>
>> I just tried nfsvers=2 and it works.
>> The problem must be connected with nfs3 writeback.
> Two-phase NFSv3 writes are not like most other file system implementations, so it's not surprising that AUFS might be tripped up.
>
> A possible workaround: If you specify the "sync" mount option when the client mounts the NFS server, it will disable UNSTABLE NFSv3 writes.
mount -o sync was enabled all the time.