2011-04-08 23:30:33

by Myles Uyema

Subject: linux / automount not respecting sec=sys parameter when NFS server supports sys:krb5

We have a Netapp filer (8.0.1) exporting NFSv3 homedirs with -sec=sys:krb5,rw
We have automount using LDAP for homedir mounts, explicitly specifying
sec=sys for all users, except for the krb5 beta testers.

We are rolling out users with kerberos slowly across our linux
machines. However, when a krb5 beta tester accessing any homedir,
Linux and automount will choose to mount that homedir using sec=krb5.
It's quite apparent that /etc/mtab shows the mount parameter as
sec=sys, but /proc/mounts shows the same mount as sec=krb5

/etc/mtab
nfstest101:/vol/krbtest01/testuser /home/testuser nfs
rw,hard,intr,sec=sys,addr=10.21.127.101 0 0

/proc/mounts
nfstest101:/vol/krbtest01/testuser /home/testuser nfs
rw,vers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,hard,intr,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=krb5,addr=10.21.127.101
0 0

If testuser then logs in (without a kerberos ticket) they cannot
access their own home directory.

Why is linux/automount ignoring our explicit sec=sys parameter?

Linux 2.6.20 kernel CentOS 5.x
Autofs 5.0.1
mount (util-linux 2.13-pre7)
MIT-Kerberos 5

2011-04-16 00:07:44

by Myles Uyema

Yes, on the filer /etc/exports (and exportfs output) the parameter is
-sec=sys:krb5
It works generally for mounts listed in /etc/fstab, but automount is a
weird one.

I believe we have narrowed it down to 2.6.20 kernel behavior. More
news forthcoming with a newer kernel.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Richard Smits <[email protected]> wrote:
> Myles Uyema wrote:
>> We have a Netapp filer (8.0.1) exporting NFSv3 homedirs with -sec=sys:krb5,rw
>
> This is interesting. Are you making an export on a Netapp filer that is
> "sec=sys" AND "sec=krb5" ? (sys:krb5)
>
> In my experience this doesn't work and you can only make a "sec=sys"
> export OR a "sec=krb5" on the same directory/qtree.
>
> Can you please clarify this ?
>
> Greetings .. Richard Smits
>
>> We have automount using LDAP for homedir mounts, explicitly specifying
>> sec=sys for all users, except for the krb5 beta testers.
>>
>> We are rolling out users with kerberos slowly across our linux
>> machines. However, when a krb5 beta tester accessing any homedir,
>> Linux and automount will choose to mount that homedir using sec=krb5.
>> It's quite apparent that /etc/mtab shows the mount parameter as
>> sec=sys, but /proc/mounts shows the same mount as sec=krb5
>>
>> /etc/mtab
>> nfstest101:/vol/krbtest01/testuser /home/testuser nfs
>> rw,hard,intr,sec=sys,addr=10.21.127.101 0 0
>>
>> /proc/mounts
>> nfstest101:/vol/krbtest01/testuser /home/testuser nfs
>> rw,vers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,hard,intr,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=krb5,addr=10.21.127.101
>> 0 0
>>
>> If testuser then logs in (without a kerberos ticket) they cannot
>> access their own home directory.
>>
>> Why is linux/automount ignoring our explicit sec=sys parameter?
>>
>> Linux 2.6.20 kernel CentOS 5.x
>> Autofs 5.0.1
>> mount (util-linux 2.13-pre7)
>> MIT-Kerberos 5
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2011-04-16 12:00:53

by Richard Smits

Great tip. We did not knew this... I have tried it and it works great.
This will make our admin tasks a lot easier.

We also use automount scripts for different mountpoints to different
servers. We use an attribute in our AD for this.

> However, when a krb5 beta tester accessing any homedir,
> Linux and automount will choose to mount that homedir using sec=krb5.

How does the automounter makes this choice ? (sys or krb5) Is this a
manual setting or an entry in your ldap directory ?

Greetings ..

Myles Uyema wrote:
> Yes, on the filer /etc/exports (and exportfs output) the parameter is
> -sec=sys:krb5
> It works generally for mounts listed in /etc/fstab, but automount is a
> weird one.
>
> I believe we have narrowed it down to 2.6.20 kernel behavior. More
> news forthcoming with a newer kernel.
>
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Richard Smits <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Myles Uyema wrote:
>>> We have a Netapp filer (8.0.1) exporting NFSv3 homedirs with -sec=sys:krb5,rw
>> This is interesting. Are you making an export on a Netapp filer that is
>> "sec=sys" AND "sec=krb5" ? (sys:krb5)
>>
>> In my experience this doesn't work and you can only make a "sec=sys"
>> export OR a "sec=krb5" on the same directory/qtree.
>>
>> Can you please clarify this ?
>>
>> Greetings .. Richard Smits
>>
>>> We have automount using LDAP for homedir mounts, explicitly specifying
>>> sec=sys for all users, except for the krb5 beta testers.
>>>
>>> We are rolling out users with kerberos slowly across our linux
>>> machines. However, when a krb5 beta tester accessing any homedir,
>>> Linux and automount will choose to mount that homedir using sec=krb5.
>>> It's quite apparent that /etc/mtab shows the mount parameter as
>>> sec=sys, but /proc/mounts shows the same mount as sec=krb5
>>>
>>> /etc/mtab
>>> nfstest101:/vol/krbtest01/testuser /home/testuser nfs
>>> rw,hard,intr,sec=sys,addr=10.21.127.101 0 0
>>>
>>> /proc/mounts
>>> nfstest101:/vol/krbtest01/testuser /home/testuser nfs
>>> rw,vers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,hard,intr,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=krb5,addr=10.21.127.101
>>> 0 0
>>>
>>> If testuser then logs in (without a kerberos ticket) they cannot
>>> access their own home directory.
>>>
>>> Why is linux/automount ignoring our explicit sec=sys parameter?
>>>
>>> Linux 2.6.20 kernel CentOS 5.x
>>> Autofs 5.0.1
>>> mount (util-linux 2.13-pre7)
>>> MIT-Kerberos 5
>>> --
>>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2011-04-10 00:28:12

by Richard Smits