2011-05-26 18:27:04

by Upakul Barkakaty

Subject: IPv6 support for NFSv2 server.

Hi all,

I have been contemplating about using an appropriate server that would
support NFSv2 over IPv6.

RHEL5 doesn=92t support IPv6 over NFS by default. I tried installing a
few libraries and patches but it doesn=92t seem to be working out yet
due to some missing dependencies.

RHEL6 *seems* to support just the NFS client over IPv6. Further it
seems to support only NFSv4 as it generates an error if I force the
NFS version to 2 in the mount options[mount.nfs: an incorrect mount
option was specified].

=46rom the RHEL6.1 Technical documentation, it specifies that NFS serve=
support over IPv6 is introduced in this release. However it is still
not clear if the support is still over NFSv4 only or includes NFSv2 as
well.

Is there any standard Operating system distribution that currently
supports NFSv2 server over IPv6? Any inputs will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Upakul Barkakaty

2011-05-26 19:07:35

by Michael Groshans

Subject: Re: IPv6 support for NFSv2 server.

On 05/26/2011 02:57 PM, Upakul Barkakaty wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Thanks for writing in. I am using the command line option -o vers=2.
>
> These 2 commands return different errors:
>
> mount -o vers=2 <ipv6-address>:<path> --> mount.nfs: an incorrect
> mount option was specified
> mount <ipv6-address>:<path> --> mount.nfs: system call failed
>
> RHEL6 uses NFSv4 by default so the second command is expected to use NFSv4.
>
> Both the above commands execute successfully in case of ipv4 addresses.

Are you escaping the ipv6 address with brackets (e.g. mount -o vers=2
[aaaa:bbbb::cccc]:/path /mnt/point)?

-Mike Groshans

2011-05-26 19:08:21

by Chuck Lever

On May 26, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Upakul Barkakaty wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> Thanks for writing in. I am using the command line option -o vers=2.
>
> These 2 commands return different errors:
>
> mount -o vers=2 <ipv6-address>:<path> --> mount.nfs: an incorrect
> mount option was specified
> mount <ipv6-address>:<path> --> mount.nfs: system call failed
>
> RHEL6 uses NFSv4 by default so the second command is expected to use NFSv4.
>
> Both the above commands execute successfully in case of ipv4 addresses.

Those error messages are a bit confusing, aren't they. Have you tried using the "proto=tcp6" mount option in either case? Do you enclose the IPv6 addresses in square brackets?

What does "rpcinfo <ipv6-address>" say?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2011-05-26 18:57:29

by Upakul Barkakaty

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Chuck Lever <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 26, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Upakul Barkakaty wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been contemplating about using an appropriate server that would
>> support NFSv2 over IPv6.
>>
>> RHEL5 doesn?t support IPv6 over NFS by default. I tried installing a
>> few libraries and patches but it doesn?t seem to be working out yet
>> due to some missing dependencies.
>>
>> RHEL6 *seems* to support just the NFS client over IPv6. Further it
>> seems to support only NFSv4 as it generates an error if I force the
>> NFS version to 2 in the mount options[mount.nfs: an incorrect mount
>> option was specified].
>
> NFSv2 over IPv6 should work on Linux clients. ?I don't think I ever explicitly tested it, though, so there could be bugs.
>
> How are you "forcing" it?
>
> --
> Chuck Lever
> chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2011-05-26 18:36:19

by Chuck Lever

On May 26, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Upakul Barkakaty wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> I have been contemplating about using an appropriate server that woul=
> support NFSv2 over IPv6.
>=20
> RHEL5 doesn=92t support IPv6 over NFS by default. I tried installing =
> few libraries and patches but it doesn=92t seem to be working out yet
> due to some missing dependencies.
>=20
> RHEL6 *seems* to support just the NFS client over IPv6. Further it
> seems to support only NFSv4 as it generates an error if I force the
> NFS version to 2 in the mount options[mount.nfs: an incorrect mount
> option was specified].

NFSv2 over IPv6 should work on Linux clients. I don't think I ever exp=
licitly tested it, though, so there could be bugs.

How are you "forcing" it?

--=20