2012-05-13 11:42:21

by Lior

Subject: nfs v4.1 client without pNFS

Hi Trond,

The rfc 5661 states that pNFS is an optional feature.
Is there currently an intent to implement some sort of an option (module
option ,or mount option) to run the NFSv4.1 client without pNFS
functionality?

Thanks,
Lior K.

2012-05-14 09:25:46

by Boaz Harrosh

Subject: Re: nfs v4.1 client without pNFS

On 05/13/2012 04:54 PM, Lior wrote:

> Hi Tigran,
>
> I guess that's one way ( a dark white box way, which still needs to be
> looked into)... but I was more thinking of a more high level built in
> user method (e.g module option ,or mount option)

We used to have it but it was removed, being pointless. 4.1 means pNFS.

The optional clause in the STD means client need no implement it but since
we slaved so hard to do implement it we see no point ever disabling it.

As an administrator policy it is best controlled in a single place at the
Server. Instead of having a crap option set at every client. What does that
give you?

If the admin wants to let you have a choice, for what ever reason that I
can't currently imagine, He can setup two exports of the same FS one
with the pnfs option, one without.

The point of the all pNFS support is that everything is automatic, Server
upgraded/extended/scaled boom transparently works.

NACK on any user visible disables. It's a maintenance disaster. If you
do find any real bugs with the pNFS option left on, please report ASAP
and we'll fix it

Cheers
Boaz

> Thanks for the fast response,
> Lior K.
>
> בתאריך 13/05/2012 16:37, ציטוט Tigran Mkrtchyan:
>> Hi Lior,
>>
>> you can blacklist the layout driver in /etc/modprobe.d/nfsv41.conf
>>
>> blacklist nfs_layout_nfsv41_files
>>

>> Tigran.
>> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Lior<[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi Trond,
>>>
>>> The rfc 5661 states that pNFS is an optional feature.
>>> Is there currently an intent to implement some sort of an option (module
>>> option ,or mount option) to run the NFSv4.1 client without pNFS
>>> functionality?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lior K.
>>> --

by Boaz Harrosh

On 05/14/2012 02:30 PM, Lior wrote:

> I don't think you can export the same FS ( same path ) twice in 2
> different ways...

Look into bind mounts.

In lots of admin schools they teach you that you actually export an
alias of a path at /export and not expose the real path on Server.
So you can change in the future with out changing Clients fstabs or
scripts.

Cheers
Boaz

2012-05-13 14:16:58

by Jim Rees

Lior wrote:

I guess that's one way ( a dark white box way, which still needs to
be looked into)... but I was more thinking of a more high level
built in user method (e.g module option ,or mount option)

Just think of it as a module option.

2012-05-13 13:54:16

by Lior

Hi Tigran,

I guess that's one way ( a dark white box way, which still needs to be
looked into)... but I was more thinking of a more high level built in
user method (e.g module option ,or mount option)

Thanks for the fast response,
Lior K.

בתאריך 13/05/2012 16:37, ציטוט Tigran Mkrtchyan:
> Hi Lior,
>
> you can blacklist the layout driver in /etc/modprobe.d/nfsv41.conf
>
> blacklist nfs_layout_nfsv41_files
>

> Tigran.
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Lior<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Trond,
>>
>> The rfc 5661 states that pNFS is an optional feature.
>> Is there currently an intent to implement some sort of an option (module
>> option ,or mount option) to run the NFSv4.1 client without pNFS
>> functionality?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lior K.
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Mkrtchyan, Tigran

Hi Lior,

you can blacklist the layout driver in /etc/modprobe.d/nfsv41.conf

blacklist nfs_layout_nfsv41_files

Tigran.
On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Lior <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Trond,
>
> The rfc 5661 states that pNFS is an optional feature.
> Is there currently an intent to implement some sort of an option (module
> option ,or mount option) to run the NFSv4.1 client without pNFS
> functionality?
>
> Thanks,
>  Lior K.

by Lior

בתאריך 14/05/2012 12:25, ציטוט Boaz Harrosh:
> On 05/13/2012 04:54 PM, Lior wrote:
>
>> Hi Tigran,
>>
>> I guess that's one way ( a dark white box way, which still needs to be
>> looked into)... but I was more thinking of a more high level built in
>> user method (e.g module option ,or mount option)
>>

> We used to have it but it was removed, being pointless. 4.1 means pNFS.
>
> The optional clause in the STD means client need no implement it but since
> we slaved so hard to do implement it we see no point ever disabling it.
>
> As an administrator policy it is best controlled in a single place at the
> Server. Instead of having a crap option set at every client. What does that
> give you?
>
> If the admin wants to let you have a choice, for what ever reason that I
> can't currently imagine, He can setup two exports of the same FS one
> with the pnfs option, one without.
I don't think you can export the same FS ( same path ) twice in 2
different ways...
In any case, I understand the explanation above concerning the design.
just tried to check if this line of thinking (4.1 without pNFS) is
needed and/or /wanted.

Thanks,

Lior K.