2012-05-15 22:10:27

by Boaz Harrosh

Subject: Re: [nfsv4] commit thru DS at the bakeathon?

On 05/16/2012 12:58 AM, Rick Macklem wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone was going to have a pNFS server
> at the June bakeathon that does Files layout and requires
> "commit through the DS"?

I bet it could be simple to implement with the Linux local-exp
pnfs server. (If not already supported)

> It's one piece I haven't implemented yet and, although I do plan
> on coding it, I was wondering if I should try and get it done in
> the next couple of weeks?
>
> Just fyi, I'll have a FreeBSD NFSv4.0 server and a NFSv4.1 client that
> includes pNFS using the files layout only there for testing.
> (excluding support for "commit through DS" maybe?)

Hey nice! a pnfs client for FBSD. Do you have a preliminary design
for multiple layout-drivers like in Linux with a vector table?

Should I be looking into objects implementation?

> Looking forward to the bakeathon, rick

Will not attend this time. Perhaps next time. Do you
have a public git tree for review?

Cheers
Boaz

2012-05-15 22:37:29

by Rick Macklem

Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> On 05/16/2012 12:58 AM, Rick Macklem wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just wondering if anyone was going to have a pNFS server
> > at the June bakeathon that does Files layout and requires
> > "commit through the DS"?
> >

> I bet it could be simple to implement with the Linux local-exp
> pnfs server. (If not already supported)

Right now, it does "commit through MDS", which is what I am testing.

I wasn't actually looking for a server that does "commit through DS"
as hoping no-one would have one at the bakeathon, so I didn't need to
worry about coding that in the next couple of weeks. (However, if someone
does have one, I might get that coded for testing;-)

> > It's one piece I haven't implemented yet and, although I do plan
> > on coding it, I was wondering if I should try and get it done in
> > the next couple of weeks?
> >
> > Just fyi, I'll have a FreeBSD NFSv4.0 server and a NFSv4.1 client
> > that
> > includes pNFS using the files layout only there for testing.
> > (excluding support for "commit through DS" maybe?)
> >

> Hey nice! a pnfs client for FBSD. Do you have a preliminary design
> for multiple layout-drivers like in Linux with a vector table?

Not yet. I have tried to keep a fairly clean separation between the
generic layout stuff and the files layout specifics. I plan on starting
working on block layout stuff soon, in part to clean things up so that
other layouts can be added.

> Should I be looking into objects implementation?

Well, it wouldn't be easy yet, but it would be great if you could do so
in a few months?

> > Looking forward to the bakeathon, rick
>

> Will not attend this time. Perhaps next time. Do you
> have a public git tree for review?

Not git, but svn...
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/nfsv4.1-client
to look at it, or I think something like the following can be
used by an svn client to do a read-only checkout:
svn checkout http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/nfsv4.1-client

There is an entire FreeBSD kernel there, but the nfsv4 client
stuff is in sys/fs/nfsclient (with a little in sys/fs/nfs).