2014-03-14 00:19:36

by Benny Halevy

Subject: Fwd: Re: [nfsv4] PNFS questions

Resending as the original message bounced back (html).

-------- Original Message --------
From: Benny Halevy <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 01:56:44 +0200
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] PNFS questions
To: Michael Maymann <[email protected]>, NFS list <[email protected]>
Cc: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Michael, the IETF mailing list is really not the right place to ask about
commercial solutions in general or linux solutions in particular.
Cc'ing the linux-nfs mailing list. Comments in line below.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Michael Maymann <[email protected]>wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm setting up a new BIO-HPC facility and are looking for a fault
> tolerant, scalable, fast and priceeffective storage solution.
>
> I have been looking at Coraid, Panasas and Lustre, but would like to
> investigate my options also of building my own PNFS solution. Clients are
> all Debian based.
>
> Can anyone recommend:
> 1. If PNFS is ready for production or if I should stick with a commercial
> vendor or build a Lustre solution ?

There is no pNFS server implementation in upstream linux yet.
We maintain a development out-of-kernel tree in git://
linux-nfs.org/~bhalevy/linux-pnfs.git
but it is not production ready.

> 2. PNFS Metadata server SW prefferably for Debian ?

ditto #1

> 3. PNFS Diskshelfs to be used ?

In pNFS terminology, these are Data Servers.

> 4. If AOE (ATA Over Ethernet) would make any sense together with PNFS ?

Maybe using the Block layout and AoE as the block storage transport
protocol.

> 5. PNFS GUI SW prefferably for Debian ?

ditto #1