2008-11-16 20:05:52

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: [NFS] export dir thru 2 diff path names

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:04:30AM -0800, Murata, Dennis wrote:
> One last question for the maintainers and the community. Is this viewed
> as an undocumented feature or a bug to be fixed?

By "this" you mean mountd's current practice of following symlinks in
export points? If people are using it (and I can't imagine you're the
only ones to try), then I think we should make it a point to keep it
around. Patches to the documentation (probably the exports man page,
kept in the nfs-utils code) welcomed.

--b.

> I would hate to
> recommend use of the exported link, only to have it disabled by an
> updated patch.
>
> Wayne

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-11-17 16:52:47

by Murata, Dennis

The "following symlinks" is a part of what I am asking, but the other
point is the idea of exporting a directory with two different path
names. I didn't know if the message from exportfs, i.e. duplicated
export entries, was designed as a warning or an error. As you pointed
out, at any particular client workstation the directory would probably
be mounted by only one of the names, but a different workstation may use
the other name, so the directory would have to be exported by both names
from the server. I am still working out the details, but in my
situation it may be possible that the directory will only be exported by
one of the names depending on the stage of the process it is in.

Wayne