2011-01-14 01:13:59

by hce

Subject: mac error

Hi,

I am running nfs server on a CentOS 5, it works fine for all
connections from linux, windows clients. Mac clients worked fine for
coping some regular files, but it could not copy mac packaging file
with the extension *.dmg, it stuck with an error "nfs server lockd not
responding", at the same time the server got a log message of
"rpc.statd[2448]: Can't callback linux_server (100021,4), giving up".

Appreciate advice what could cause that problem and how could fix it?

Thank you.

hce

2011-01-14 05:57:16

by Mi Jinlong

Subject: Re: mac error

hce :
> Thanks for your response. I've just found that nlockmgr did not
> respond when I run following command on the server. Is it a problem or
> it is normal? Anyway, the NFS is still working fine.

No, it's not a problem.
It just a lack of NFSv3's file lock, if you try to lock NFSv3 file,
you must start the nfslock service both the client and server
(maybe other platform don't named nfslock).

Because your normal NFS operation don't need file lock,
so NFSv3 is still working fine.

> $ rpcinfo -t linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available
>
> $ rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available
>
> $ rpcinfo -p

The linux_server and localhost are different machine ?

linux_server is CentOS?? or MAC?
localhost is?

--
thanks,
Mi Jinlong

> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 895 status
> 100024 1 tcp 898 status
> 100011 1 udp 806 rquotad
> 100011 2 udp 806 rquotad
> 100011 1 tcp 809 rquotad
> 100011 2 tcp 809 rquotad
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100005 1 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 831 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 831 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 831 mountd
>
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Mi Jinlong <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> hce :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running nfs server on a CentOS 5, it works fine for all
>>> connections from linux, windows clients. Mac clients worked fine for
>>> coping some regular files, but it could not copy mac packaging file
>>> with the extension *.dmg, it stuck with an error "nfs server lockd not
>>> responding", at the same time the server got a log message of
>>> "rpc.statd[2448]: Can't callback linux_server (100021,4), giving up".
>>>
>>> Appreciate advice what could cause that problem and how could fix it?
>> Hi hce,
>>
>> You use NFSv3,
>> the NFSv3's file lock service depend on NLM(Network Lock Manager),
>> that need a user space program named rpc.statd to support service
>> like this:
>>
>> | nfs client | nfs server
>> | |
>> user space | rpc.statd <---> rpc.statd
>> | ^ | ^
>> --------------------|------------------------|----
>> | v | v
>> kernel | lockd <---> lockd
>>
>> when your nfs client is a MAC, maybe Mac's user space don't support
>> a program as rpc.statd, or you don't make the program run correctly.
>>
>> Maybe you can use NFSv4 to avoid this problem.
>>

>> --
>> ----
>> thanks
>> Mi Jinlong

2011-01-14 15:19:40

by Chuck Lever

On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:01 PM, hce wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I've just found that nlockmgr did not
> respond when I run following command on the server. Is it a problem or
> it is normal? Anyway, the NFS is still working fine.

nlockmgr and NFS are two separate RPC services. So, NFS can work while there might be a problem with nlockmgr. IMO, nlockmgr should respond in this case.

> $ rpcinfo -t linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available
>
> $ rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available

This is attempting to contact nlockmgr's "version 0" which is not registered (see below). Versions 1, 3, and 4 are registered.

Try "rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr 3".

> $ rpcinfo -p
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 895 status
> 100024 1 tcp 898 status
> 100011 1 udp 806 rquotad
> 100011 2 udp 806 rquotad
> 100011 1 tcp 809 rquotad
> 100011 2 tcp 809 rquotad
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100005 1 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 831 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 831 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 831 mountd

nlockmgr is registered, so it must have been started at some point. It's a kernel service, so there's no daemon to die. Do you have some kind of firewall in place that would prevent contacting the NLM service? Does "linux_server" resolve to the IP address you expect it to?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2011-01-16 22:09:29

by hce

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Chuck Lever <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2011, at 10:55 AM, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Actually, that command should work. ?The server should respond with an
>> RPC error indicating which
>> versions of the nlockmgr protocol are supported and then rpcinfo will
>> ping each of them.
>
> Yes, that and the "RPC: Timed out" message suggests that the underlying transport is not even getting through.

The "rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr 3" was timeout either. That
server resolving IP address was working fine. As you indicated it
might have underlying transports problem. I'll have to find it out.

Your comments confirmed my suspicious that the problem of the nlockmgr
timeout could cause the problem we currently got. I'll follow your
lead and debug it.

Thank you all.

> I expect lockd to unregister itself with the portmapper when it is shut down cleanly. ?The presence of a registration for nlockmgr indicates it should still be running and contactable.
>

>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ps

2011-01-14 16:05:25

by peter.staubach

Hi.

Actually, that command should work. The server should respond with an
RPC error indicating which
versions of the nlockmgr protocol are supported and then rpcinfo will
ping each of them.

ps

On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:01 PM, hce wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I've just found that nlockmgr did not
> respond when I run following command on the server. Is it a problem or
> it is normal? Anyway, the NFS is still working fine.

nlockmgr and NFS are two separate RPC services. So, NFS can work while
there might be a problem with nlockmgr. IMO, nlockmgr should respond in
this case.

> $ rpcinfo -t linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available
>
> $ rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 100021 version 0 is not available

This is attempting to contact nlockmgr's "version 0" which is not
registered (see below). Versions 1, 3, and 4 are registered.

Try "rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr 3".

> $ rpcinfo -p
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 895 status
> 100024 1 tcp 898 status
> 100011 1 udp 806 rquotad
> 100011 2 udp 806 rquotad
> 100011 1 tcp 809 rquotad
> 100011 2 tcp 809 rquotad
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 32794 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 57164 nlockmgr
> 100005 1 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 831 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 831 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 828 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 831 mountd

nlockmgr is registered, so it must have been started at some point.
It's a kernel service, so there's no daemon to die. Do you have some
kind of firewall in place that would prevent contacting the NLM service?
Does "linux_server" resolve to the IP address you expect it to?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2011-01-14 06:24:15

by hce

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Mi Jinlong <[email protected]> wrote:

> hce :
>> Thanks for your response. I've just found that nlockmgr did not
>> respond when I run following command on the server. Is it a problem or
>> it is normal? Anyway, the NFS is still working fine.
>
> ?No, it's not a problem.
> ?It just a lack of NFSv3's file lock, if you try to lock NFSv3 file,
> ?you must start the nfslock service both the client and server
> ?(maybe other platform don't named nfslock).
>
> ?Because your normal NFS operation don't need file lock,
> ?so NFSv3 is still working fine.

Thanks. Good to know, so I don't need to worry about it.

>> $ rpcinfo -t linux_server nlockmgr
>> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
>> program 100021 version 0 is not available
>>
>> $ rpcinfo -u linux_server nlockmgr
>> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
>> program 100021 version 0 is not available
>>
>> $ rpcinfo -p
>
> ?The linux_server and localhost are different machine ?
>
> ?linux_server is CentOS?? or MAC?
> ?localhost is?

The linux_server is a host for NFS server running CentOS. All commands
were called in the NFS server.

Anyway, the MAC clients sometime crashed or sometime worked very slow
when the NFS server got rpc.statd[2448]: Can't callback .... If I
understand it correct, it should not cause the MAC networking problem,
then we have to look at the problem in other places.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

> --
> thanks,
> Mi Jinlong
>
>> ? ?program vers proto ? port
>> ? ? 100000 ? ?2 ? tcp ? ?111 ?portmapper
>> ? ? 100000 ? ?2 ? udp ? ?111 ?portmapper
>> ? ? 100024 ? ?1 ? udp ? ?895 ?status
>> ? ? 100024 ? ?1 ? tcp ? ?898 ?status
>> ? ? 100011 ? ?1 ? udp ? ?806 ?rquotad
>> ? ? 100011 ? ?2 ? udp ? ?806 ?rquotad
>> ? ? 100011 ? ?1 ? tcp ? ?809 ?rquotad
>> ? ? 100011 ? ?2 ? tcp ? ?809 ?rquotad
>> ? ? 100003 ? ?2 ? udp ? 2049 ?nfs
>> ? ? 100003 ? ?3 ? udp ? 2049 ?nfs
>> ? ? 100003 ? ?4 ? udp ? 2049 ?nfs
>> ? ? 100021 ? ?1 ? udp ?32794 ?nlockmgr
>> ? ? 100021 ? ?3 ? udp ?32794 ?nlockmgr
>> ? ? 100021 ? ?4 ? udp ?32794 ?nlockmgr
>> ? ? 100003 ? ?2 ? tcp ? 2049 ?nfs
>> ? ? 100003 ? ?3 ? tcp ? 2049 ?nfs
>> ? ? 100003 ? ?4 ? tcp ? 2049 ?nfs
>> ? ? 100021 ? ?1 ? tcp ?57164 ?nlockmgr
>> ? ? 100021 ? ?3 ? tcp ?57164 ?nlockmgr
>> ? ? 100021 ? ?4 ? tcp ?57164 ?nlockmgr
>> ? ? 100005 ? ?1 ? udp ? ?828 ?mountd
>> ? ? 100005 ? ?1 ? tcp ? ?831 ?mountd
>> ? ? 100005 ? ?2 ? udp ? ?828 ?mountd
>> ? ? 100005 ? ?2 ? tcp ? ?831 ?mountd
>> ? ? 100005 ? ?3 ? udp ? ?828 ?mountd
>> ? ? 100005 ? ?3 ? tcp ? ?831 ?mountd
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Mi Jinlong <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hce :

>>> Hi hce,
>>>
>>> You use NFSv3,
>>> the NFSv3's file lock service depend on NLM(Network Lock Manager),
>>> that need a user space program named rpc.statd to support service
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? nfs client ? ? | ? ? ?nfs server
>>> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?|
>>> user space | ? ? rpc.statd ? ?<---> ? ? ?rpc.statd
>>> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ?^ ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ? ? ?^
>>> --------------------|------------------------|----
>>> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ?v ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ? ? ?v
>>> kernel ? ? | ? ? ?lockd ? ? ? <---> ? ? ? lockd
>>>
>>> when your nfs client is a MAC, maybe Mac's user space don't support
>>> a program as rpc.statd, or you don't make the program run correctly.
>>>
>>> Maybe you can use NFSv4 to avoid this problem.
>>>

>>> --
>>> ----
>>> thanks
>>> Mi Jinlong

2011-01-14 04:01:49

by hce

> [...]

>> Appreciate advice what could cause that problem and how could fix it?
>
> Hi hce,
>
> You use NFSv3,
> the NFSv3's file lock service depend on NLM(Network Lock Manager),
> that need a user space program named rpc.statd to support service
> like this:
>
> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? nfs client ? ? | ? ? ?nfs server
> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?|
> user space | ? ? rpc.statd ? ?<---> ? ? ?rpc.statd
> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ?^ ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ? ? ?^
> --------------------|------------------------|----
> ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ?v ? ? ? ? ? | ? ? ? ? ? ?v
> kernel ? ? | ? ? ?lockd ? ? ? <---> ? ? ? lockd
>
> when your nfs client is a MAC, maybe Mac's user space don't support
> a program as rpc.statd, or you don't make the program run correctly.
>
> Maybe you can use NFSv4 to avoid this problem.

2011-01-14 02:32:40

by Mi Jinlong

hce :
> Hi,
>
> I am running nfs server on a CentOS 5, it works fine for all
> connections from linux, windows clients. Mac clients worked fine for
> coping some regular files, but it could not copy mac packaging file
> with the extension *.dmg, it stuck with an error "nfs server lockd not
> responding", at the same time the server got a log message of
> "rpc.statd[2448]: Can't callback linux_server (100021,4), giving up".
>
> Appreciate advice what could cause that problem and how could fix it?

Hi hce,

You use NFSv3,
the NFSv3's file lock service depend on NLM(Network Lock Manager),
that need a user space program named rpc.statd to support service
like this:

| nfs client | nfs server
| |
--------------------|------------------------|----
| v | v
kernel | lockd <---> lockd

when your nfs client is a MAC, maybe Mac's user space don't support
a program as rpc.statd, or you don't make the program run correctly.

Maybe you can use NFSv4 to avoid this problem.

--
----
thanks
Mi Jinlong