2013-10-22 17:09:48

by Ben Greear

Subject: Failure to mount nfsv4 on 3.12.0-rc5-wl+

This is on an un-hacked upstream kernel (ath tree). Mounting an older
Fedora 13 system with nfsv3 works fine, but mounting a F17 box with
NFSv4 hangs. Ctrl-c of the process yields this error:

NFS: nfs4_discover_server_trunking unhandled error -512. Exiting with error EIO

3.9 kernels on this same system mount the F17 box fine.

If I add 'vers=3' to /etc/fstab, then it mounts the F17 box fine.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Ben Greear

Subject: Re: Failure to mount nfsv4 on 3.12.0-rc5-wl+

On 10/22/2013 10:18 AM, Weston Andros Adamson wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This is on an un-hacked upstream kernel (ath tree). Mounting an older
>> Fedora 13 system with nfsv3 works fine, but mounting a F17 box with
>> NFSv4 hangs. Ctrl-c of the process yields this error:
>>
>> NFS: nfs4_discover_server_trunking unhandled error -512. Exiting with error EIO
>
> I have seen this error message and I'm currently debugging it - it's due to a hang in GSSD upcall. This message is generated when the user ^Cs the mount. This is reproducible, but the hang only happens for me every once in a while. I can make it happen pretty reliably if I call mount/unmount a bunch of times (like the test_sec_options.sh script I posted last week).
>
> This issue is next on my list...

Ok, no problem. The vers=3 thing is fine for me.

I do seem to have a good system for reproducing the problem if you
create some patches for testing...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Ben Greear

On 10/22/2013 10:21 AM, Weston Andros Adamson wrote:
> ? and I think it makes sense to me that this behavior was recently introduced and vers=3 fixes things, because nfsv4 has to do the upcall to GSSD even when sec=sys because it attempts to do krb5i on non superblock related operations (if possible will use, otherwise just uses sys) and this behavior was recently added. NFSv3 does not do this.
>
> -dros

I have a gssd running on the client, from what I can tell, but no idea if it is working properly
or not. It should be whatever is standard with F17.

[root@ct523-9292 ~]# ps -auxww|grep gss
root 723 0.0 0.0 35192 504 ? Ss 10:17 0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.gssd
root 5975 0.0 0.0 109408 872 pts/0 S+ 10:25 0:00 grep --color=auto gss

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Weston Andros Adamson

? and I think it makes sense to me that this behavior was recently introduced and vers=3 fixes things, because nfsv4 has to do the upcall to GSSD even when sec=sys because it attempts to do krb5i on non superblock related operations (if possible will use, otherwise just uses sys) and this behavior was recently added. NFSv3 does not do this.

-dros

On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:18 PM, Weston Andros Adamson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This is on an un-hacked upstream kernel (ath tree). Mounting an older
>> Fedora 13 system with nfsv3 works fine, but mounting a F17 box with
>> NFSv4 hangs. Ctrl-c of the process yields this error:
>>
>> NFS: nfs4_discover_server_trunking unhandled error -512. Exiting with error EIO
>
> I have seen this error message and I'm currently debugging it - it's due to a hang in GSSD upcall. This message is generated when the user ^Cs the mount. This is reproducible, but the hang only happens for me every once in a while. I can make it happen pretty reliably if I call mount/unmount a bunch of times (like the test_sec_options.sh script I posted last week).
>
> This issue is next on my list...
>
> -dros
>

>> 3.9 kernels on this same system mount the F17 box fine.
>>
>> If I add 'vers=3' to /etc/fstab, then it mounts the F17 box fine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>
>> --
>> Ben Greear <[email protected]>
>> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com
>>
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Weston Andros Adamson

On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is on an un-hacked upstream kernel (ath tree). Mounting an older
> Fedora 13 system with nfsv3 works fine, but mounting a F17 box with
> NFSv4 hangs. Ctrl-c of the process yields this error:
>
> NFS: nfs4_discover_server_trunking unhandled error -512. Exiting with error EIO

I have seen this error message and I'm currently debugging it - it's due to a hang in GSSD upcall. This message is generated when the user ^Cs the mount. This is reproducible, but the hang only happens for me every once in a while. I can make it happen pretty reliably if I call mount/unmount a bunch of times (like the test_sec_options.sh script I posted last week).

This issue is next on my list...

-dros

> 3.9 kernels on this same system mount the F17 box fine.
>
> If I add 'vers=3' to /etc/fstab, then it mounts the F17 box fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <[email protected]>
> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com

by Weston Andros Adamson

On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:27 PM, Ben Greear <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On 10/22/2013 10:21 AM, Weston Andros Adamson wrote:
>> ? and I think it makes sense to me that this behavior was recently introduced and vers=3 fixes things, because nfsv4 has to do the upcall to GSSD even when sec=sys because it attempts to do krb5i on non superblock related operations (if possible will use, otherwise just uses sys) and this behavior was recently added. NFSv3 does not do this.
>>
>> -dros
>
> I have a gssd running on the client, from what I can tell, but no idea if it is working properly
> or not. It should be whatever is standard with F17.

It's my belief that a GSSD bug is causing this hang and that the bug has been in GSSD for a while, but wasn't hit until recent kernel changes.

I'll share more as soon as I figure it out!

-dros