2013-09-04 06:14:16

by Jupiter

Subject: NFS 4 error

Hi,

I am running NFS 4 server on CentOS 6.4 for many months, it works
well. Recently I found that the dmesg display many following errors
but it still works. I searched google but could not find result of how
to fix it. What are those error message means? Are the errors serious
or not? How to fix it?

--------
rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: got error -32 when sending 24 bytes - shutting down socket
rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: got error -32 when sending 24 bytes - shutting down socket
------------

Thank you.

Kind regards.

jupiter

2013-09-04 19:50:24

by Malahal Naineni

Subject: Re: NFS 4 error

J. Bruce Fields [[email protected]] wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 11:20:45AM -0500, Malahal Naineni wrote:
> > jupiter [[email protected]] wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running NFS 4 server on CentOS 6.4 for many months, it works
> > > well. Recently I found that the dmesg display many following errors
> > > but it still works. I searched google but could not find result of how
> > > to fix it. What are those error message means? Are the errors serious
> > > or not? How to fix it?
> > >
> > > --------
> > > rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: got error -32 when sending 24 bytes - shutting down socket
> > > rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: got error -32 when sending 24 bytes - shutting down socket
> >
> > When the nfsd (NFS server thread) was trying to send something, it got
> > -32 (EPIPE) error. I have seen this kind of errors when the socket is
> > closed by clients. Clients do close the socket (and recreate one) when
> > they need to retry due to network failures.
> >
> > They are NOT serious errors, and if they are still happening, then look
> > at your network errors/retries etc.
>
> We should really just demote this to a dprintk, in that case.
>
> The network failures are potentially a serious problem if they mean the
> client's forced to retry a nonidempotent operation. But we probably
> shouldn't be spamming the logs by default?

I haven't seen many of these messages. That is the only message logged when
the socket gets closed. It is a KERN_NOTICE level message. We can rate
limit it, but in my experience, I haven't seen a need for rate limiting
it.

Regards, Malahal.

2013-09-04 19:38:53

by J. Bruce Fields

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 11:20:45AM -0500, Malahal Naineni wrote:
> jupiter [[email protected]] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running NFS 4 server on CentOS 6.4 for many months, it works
> > well. Recently I found that the dmesg display many following errors
> > but it still works. I searched google but could not find result of how
> > to fix it. What are those error message means? Are the errors serious
> > or not? How to fix it?
> >
> > --------
> > rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: got error -32 when sending 24 bytes - shutting down socket
> > rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: got error -32 when sending 24 bytes - shutting down socket
>
> When the nfsd (NFS server thread) was trying to send something, it got
> -32 (EPIPE) error. I have seen this kind of errors when the socket is
> closed by clients. Clients do close the socket (and recreate one) when
> they need to retry due to network failures.
>
> They are NOT serious errors, and if they are still happening, then look
> at your network errors/retries etc.

We should really just demote this to a dprintk, in that case.

The network failures are potentially a serious problem if they mean the
client's forced to retry a nonidempotent operation. But we probably
shouldn't be spamming the logs by default?

--b.

2013-09-04 16:20:55

by Malahal Naineni