2012-01-26 08:00:27

by Belisko Marek

Subject: fanotify - fschange filesystem notification on nfs mounted directory

Hi,

I'm working on fschange
(http://stefan.buettcher.org/cs/fschange/index.html) on which fanotify
is based also.

It is reporting changes (when file or dir is created, changed, deleted
...) working fine over "normal filesystems".
Our intention is to used to report changes on directory which is
mounted over nfs. This case doesn't work at all
(we got some events about rename only). Is there anything what should
be setup in nfs options or this case basically
didn't work at all? I'm only nfs user and don't understand details.

Thanks in advance,

marek

--
as simple and primitive as possible
Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA

Tel: +421 915 052 184
skype: marekwhite
twitter: #opennandra
web: http://open-nandra.com

2012-01-26 15:16:30

by Anna Schumaker

On Thu Jan 26 03:00:26 2012, Belisko Marek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on fschange
> (http://stefan.buettcher.org/cs/fschange/index.html) on which fanotify
> is based also.
>
> It is reporting changes (when file or dir is created, changed, deleted
> ...) working fine over "normal filesystems".
> Our intention is to used to report changes on directory which is
> mounted over nfs. This case doesn't work at all
> (we got some events about rename only). Is there anything what should
> be setup in nfs options or this case basically
> didn't work at all? I'm only nfs user and don't understand details.

You didn't set up anything wrong, the case just doesn't work for
finding changes on the server. Files created locally should trigger
inotify events through the VFS, but tracking changes made on the server
is more difficult. Notifications are part of the NFS v4.1 protocol,
but I don't think anything has been implemented right now.

Maybe something in userland like gamin could help?
http://people.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/

- Bryan