2012-11-20 04:38:13

by Rodel Miguel

Subject: Metadata Server for PNFS testing

Hi,

May I know how the pNFS developers are testing their codes? Is there
a user-space metadata server that you use for testing with the PNFS
codes? sPNFS seems to be outdated (2.6?)?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind Regards,
Rodel

2012-11-21 16:09:17

by Idan Kedar

Subject: Re: Metadata Server for PNFS testing

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Rodel Miguel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Idan,
>
> It would be nice to have a simple file layout, but any layout would
> do. Thank you very much!
>
> Kind Regards,
> Rodel

The pNFS metadata server is available in Benny Halevy's git
repository. Look here for instructions:

http://linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/PNFS_Setup_Instructions

For file layout, you can compile the kernel with pnfs-lexp, which
exports a local file system with pNFS file layout.

I generally prefer to use object layout, because it allows me to
physically separate the MDS from the data server. in order to set up
object layout, compile the MDS with the exofs file system, and use it
as your pNFS export. exofs requires an OSD rather than a plain block
device, so look up for instructions on how to set this up.

as for the client, the upstream client works, though if you want to
use object layout you'll need scsi-initiator-utils.

--
idank

2012-11-21 12:35:09

by Idan Kedar