2023-08-04 22:56:50

by Rick Macklem

Subject: RFC: new attributes

Hi,

I wrote an IETF draft proposing a few new attributes for NFSv4.2.
Since there did not seem to be interest in them, I just
let the draft expire. However, David Noveck pinged
me w.r.t. it, so I thought I'd ask here about it.

All the attributes are meant to be "read only, per server file system":
supported_ops - A bitmap of the operations supported.
The motivation was that NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP is supposed to
be "per server", although the rumour was that the Linux knfsd
uses it "per server file system".
dir_cookie_rising - Only useful for directory delegations, which no
one seems to be implementing.
seek_granularity - The smallest size of unallocated region reported
be the Seek operation. FreeBSD has a pathconf(2) variable called
_PC_MIN_HOLE_SIZE that an application can use to decide if
lseek(SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE) is useful.
mandatory_br_locks - Byte range locks are mandatory. No one
seems to be implementing these, but a client needs to know
that mandatory locking is being enforced so that it can cache
data correctly.
max_xattr_len - Allows the client to avoid attempting to Setxattr an
attribute that is larger than the server file system supports.

So, does the Linux folk think any of these are useful enough to implement?
If not, I do not see any reason to pursue this further.

Thanks for any comments, rick

2023-08-05 14:59:34

by Chuck Lever

Subject: Re: RFC: new attributes

Hi Rick -

> On Aug 4, 2023, at 6:18 PM, Rick Macklem <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wrote an IETF draft proposing a few new attributes for NFSv4.2.
> Since there did not seem to be interest in them, I just
> let the draft expire. However, David Noveck pinged
> me w.r.t. it, so I thought I'd ask here about it.
>
> All the attributes are meant to be "read only, per server file system":
> supported_ops - A bitmap of the operations supported.
> The motivation was that NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP is supposed to
> be "per server", although the rumour was that the Linux knfsd
> uses it "per server file system".

Before crafting new protocol, we should have a look at server
implementation behavior to see if it can be improved in this
area.

Is Linux the only problematic implementation? Send email,
bug reports, or patches... we'll consider them.

> dir_cookie_rising - Only useful for directory delegations, which no
> one seems to be implementing.

We've been talking privately and informally about implementing
directory delegation in the Linux NFS server, so this one
could be interesting. But there aren't enough details here to
know whether this new attribute would be useful to us.

> seek_granularity - The smallest size of unallocated region reported
> be the Seek operation. FreeBSD has a pathconf(2) variable called
> _PC_MIN_HOLE_SIZE that an application can use to decide if
> lseek(SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE) is useful.

I'm not aware of a scenario where the Linux server would provide
a value not equal to 1, so it would be easy for us to implement.

What would clients do with this information, aside from filling
in a pathconf field? Might this value be of benefit for READ_PLUS?

> mandatory_br_locks - Byte range locks are mandatory. No one
> seems to be implementing these, but a client needs to know
> that mandatory locking is being enforced so that it can cache
> data correctly.

I don't have much exposure to mandatory locking, maybe Jeff
could chime in on this one.

> max_xattr_len - Allows the client to avoid attempting to Setxattr an
> attribute that is larger than the server file system supports.

Can you elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve? Why
isn't the current situation adequate?

Again, I don't think this would be difficult for the Linux
server to implement, but I'd like to know why it's needed.

--
Chuck Lever

2023-08-05 22:20:42

by Rick Macklem

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 7:51 AM Chuck Lever III <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Rick -
>
> > On Aug 4, 2023, at 6:18 PM, Rick Macklem <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wrote an IETF draft proposing a few new attributes for NFSv4.2.
> > Since there did not seem to be interest in them, I just
> > let the draft expire. However, David Noveck pinged
> > me w.r.t. it, so I thought I'd ask here about it.
> >
> > All the attributes are meant to be "read only, per server file system":
> > supported_ops - A bitmap of the operations supported.
> > The motivation was that NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP is supposed to
> > be "per server", although the rumour was that the Linux knfsd
> > uses it "per server file system".
>
> Before crafting new protocol, we should have a look at server
> implementation behavior to see if it can be improved in this
> area.
>
> Is Linux the only problematic implementation? Send email,
> bug reports, or patches... we'll consider them.

This was discussed on the IETF working group mailing list some years
ago. I was asking if NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP could be used "per server
file system" or "per server". Tom Haynes said his intent was "per server",
but that was not clear in the RFC. The only place in any RFC where it
seemed to indicate "per server" was the definition for NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP
as follows:
15.1.1.5. NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP (Error Code 10004)

Operation not supported, either because the operation is an OPTIONAL
one and is not supported by this server or because the operation MUST
NOT be implemented in the current minor version.

Bruce Fields noted that he thought the Linux knfsd was doing NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP
w.r.t. optional 4.2 operations on a "per file system basis" and there was some
mumbling to the effect that it should be applicable "per server file system".

In FreeBSD, certain 4.2 operations (such as Allocate) can only be done
on certain file systems.
Without a way to indicate to a client that this operation is supported on
file system X but not file system Y, the server is forced to not support the
operation. (It is currently controlled by a tunable that a sysadmin could
set incorrectly and result in NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP for some of the file
systems. As such, you could say that the FreeBSD server can do this.)

I do not have a Linux server with various types of file systems to confirm
if what Bruce Fields thought was the case is actually the case.

> > dir_cookie_rising - Only useful for directory delegations, which no
> > one seems to be implementing.
>
> We've been talking privately and informally about implementing
> directory delegation in the Linux NFS server, so this one
> could be interesting. But there aren't enough details here to
> know whether this new attribute would be useful to us.

I wrote a bunch of code implementing directory delegations on FreeBSD,
but never completed the work to the point of testing.
I found that, for FreeBSD, it was infeasible to implement the client side
for server file systems where the directory offset cookie was not monotonically
increasing. (Basically maintaining ordering of "directory chunks" because too
difficult with being able to do so based on directory offset cookie ordering.)

So, my implementation, if even completed, would only work for the case of
monotonically increasing directory offset cookies and detecting that that is
not the case "on the fly" would have been messy.

Btw, I seem to recall that the Linux client optimizes directory handling
when directory offset cookies are monotonically increasing, but shuts
that down "when it sees otherwise". I do not know if the client could
be improved in this area if it knows up front?

> > seek_granularity - The smallest size of unallocated region reported
> > be the Seek operation. FreeBSD has a pathconf(2) variable called
> > _PC_MIN_HOLE_SIZE that an application can use to decide if
> > lseek(SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE) is useful.
>
> I'm not aware of a scenario where the Linux server would provide
> a value not equal to 1, so it would be easy for us to implement.
A value of 1 is of limited use. If an application is going to use the
information (btw, I think this pathconf name was in Solaris?), the
size (such as 32K or 128K) can be more useful.
--> No point in doing Seek if the data is not sufficiently sparse.

How useful is this? I do not know (and since Linux apparently
does not provide this information, there will be few, if any,
applications that make use of it.)

> What would clients do with this information, aside from filling
> in a pathconf field? Might this value be of benefit for READ_PLUS?
As proposed, it does not give indications of "sparseness" for individual
files. It would, however, indicate if READ_PLUS can be useful.
--> If the server returns 0, there is no point in performing READ_PLUS.
(This was not explicitly stated in the draft, but should be.)

> > mandatory_br_locks - Byte range locks are mandatory. No one
> > seems to be implementing these, but a client needs to know
> > that mandatory locking is being enforced so that it can cache
> > data correctly.
>
> I don't have much exposure to mandatory locking, maybe Jeff
> could chime in on this one.
>

> > max_xattr_len - Allows the client to avoid attempting to Setxattr an
> > attribute that is larger than the server file system supports.
>
> Can you elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve? Why
> isn't the current situation adequate?
For FreeBSD, an application can attempt to set a very large extended
attribute (I've actually done a 1Gbyte one on ZFS during testing).
As such, for NFSv4.2 it can attempt one up to the maximum allowable
size for a compound (a little over 1Mbyte).

Without this attribute, most servers will fail with NFS4ERR_XATTR2BIG,
resulting in a fair amount of "on the wire" traffic for some application
that insists on doing large ones a lot.

This attribute would allow the client to avoid putting Setxattr operations
with too large an attribute "on the wire", but it is a minor optimization.

rick

> Again, I don't think this would be difficult for the Linux
> server to implement, but I'd like to know why it's needed.
>

> --
> Chuck Lever

2023-08-06 16:49:27

by Chuck Lever

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 03:05:59PM -0700, Rick Macklem wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 7:51 AM Chuck Lever III <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rick -
> >
> > > On Aug 4, 2023, at 6:18 PM, Rick Macklem <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wrote an IETF draft proposing a few new attributes for NFSv4.2.
> > > Since there did not seem to be interest in them, I just
> > > let the draft expire. However, David Noveck pinged
> > > me w.r.t. it, so I thought I'd ask here about it.
> > >
> > > All the attributes are meant to be "read only, per server file system":
> > > supported_ops - A bitmap of the operations supported.
> > > The motivation was that NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP is supposed to
> > > be "per server", although the rumour was that the Linux knfsd
> > > uses it "per server file system".
> >
> > Before crafting new protocol, we should have a look at server
> > implementation behavior to see if it can be improved in this
> > area.
> >
> > Is Linux the only problematic implementation? Send email,
> > bug reports, or patches... we'll consider them.
> >
> This was discussed on the IETF working group mailing list some years
> ago. I was asking if NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP could be used "per server
> file system" or "per server". Tom Haynes said his intent was "per server",
> but that was not clear in the RFC. The only place in any RFC where it
> seemed to indicate "per server" was the definition for NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP
> as follows:
> 15.1.1.5. NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP (Error Code 10004)
>
> Operation not supported, either because the operation is an OPTIONAL
> one and is not supported by this server or because the operation MUST
> NOT be implemented in the current minor version.
>
> Bruce Fields noted that he thought the Linux knfsd was doing NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP
> w.r.t. optional 4.2 operations on a "per file system basis" and there was some
> mumbling to the effect that it should be applicable "per server file system".
>
> In FreeBSD, certain 4.2 operations (such as Allocate) can only be done
> on certain file systems.
> Without a way to indicate to a client that this operation is supported on
> file system X but not file system Y, the server is forced to not support the
> operation. (It is currently controlled by a tunable that a sysadmin could
> set incorrectly and result in NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP for some of the file
> systems. As such, you could say that the FreeBSD server can do this.)
>
> I do not have a Linux server with various types of file systems to confirm
> if what Bruce Fields thought was the case is actually the case.

I wondered if the subtle difference between "per-server" and "per-
server filesystem" would have implications for extensibility (RFC
8178) but I don't see anything specific there. It distinguishes
between

NFS4ERR_ILLEGAL - operation is not valid for this minor version

and

NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP - operation is valid for this minor version but is
not supported by this implementation

Because the specs are not clear about this, a client could remember
the support status of an operation and not use that operation at all
when a server shares a mix of filesystems that support a feature and
filesystems that do not.

But it looks like we have a de facto deviation from what was intended
but not written in the protocol specs -- NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP is used by
some implementations on a per-filesystem basis (not that I've actually
audited the Linux server implementation yet).

I would find documenting this de facto interpretation more palatable
than adding a new bitmask attribute.

> > > dir_cookie_rising - Only useful for directory delegations, which no
> > > one seems to be implementing.
> >
> > We've been talking privately and informally about implementing
> > directory delegation in the Linux NFS server, so this one
> > could be interesting. But there aren't enough details here to
> > know whether this new attribute would be useful to us.
> >
> I wrote a bunch of code implementing directory delegations on FreeBSD,
> but never completed the work to the point of testing.
> I found that, for FreeBSD, it was infeasible to implement the client side
> for server file systems where the directory offset cookie was not monotonically
> increasing. (Basically maintaining ordering of "directory chunks" because too
> difficult with being able to do so based on directory offset cookie ordering.)
>
> So, my implementation, if even completed, would only work for the case of
> monotonically increasing directory offset cookies and detecting that that is
> not the case "on the fly" would have been messy.

I'm still not clear on what "monotonically increasing directory
offsets" means.

I'm familiar with only a couple of Linux filesystems, and they seem
to use distinct offset values that increase monotonically as new
entries are created in the directory. The offset values do not
confer any particular information about entry locality.

> > > seek_granularity - The smallest size of unallocated region reported
> > > be the Seek operation. FreeBSD has a pathconf(2) variable called
> > > _PC_MIN_HOLE_SIZE that an application can use to decide if
> > > lseek(SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE) is useful.

I checked. On Linux, fpathconf(3) does not list a MIN_HOLE_SIZE
variable, fwiw.

> > I'm not aware of a scenario where the Linux server would provide
> > a value not equal to 1, so it would be easy for us to implement.
> A value of 1 is of limited use. If an application is going to use the
> information (btw, I think this pathconf name was in Solaris?), the
> size (such as 32K or 128K) can be more useful.
> --> No point in doing Seek if the data is not sufficiently sparse.

To provide an implementation there just needs to be a clear use case
for it and a clear explanation for the semantics of that value
provided by an open specification.

> > What would clients do with this information, aside from filling
> > in a pathconf field? Might this value be of benefit for READ_PLUS?
> As proposed, it does not give indications of "sparseness" for individual
> files. It would, however, indicate if READ_PLUS can be useful.
> --> If the server returns 0, there is no point in performing READ_PLUS.
> (This was not explicitly stated in the draft, but should be.)

That's where I'm thinking the benefit might be for clients that
implement READ_PLUS but do not care about MIN_HOLE_SIZE.

> > > max_xattr_len - Allows the client to avoid attempting to Setxattr an
> > > attribute that is larger than the server file system supports.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve? Why
> > isn't the current situation adequate?
> For FreeBSD, an application can attempt to set a very large extended
> attribute (I've actually done a 1Gbyte one on ZFS during testing).
> As such, for NFSv4.2 it can attempt one up to the maximum allowable
> size for a compound (a little over 1Mbyte).
>
> Without this attribute, most servers will fail with NFS4ERR_XATTR2BIG,
> resulting in a fair amount of "on the wire" traffic for some application
> that insists on doing large ones a lot.
>
> This attribute would allow the client to avoid putting Setxattr operations
> with too large an attribute "on the wire", but it is a minor optimization.

The Linux server restricts the maximum size of RPC messages during
CREATE_SESSION, so it wouldn't be possible to write more than about
a megabyte at maximum to an xattr residing on Linux. But I believe
many of our local filesystem implementations do not support xattrs
much larger than 64KB. This limit very likely varies depending on
the filesystem.

IMO large xattrs were not in the minds of the authors of RFC 8276.
If applications want to store large amounts of data in secondary
byte streams, they should use named attributes instead, since a
named attribute I believe is written with WRITE, which enables
extending the attribute size after it's been created.

I remember also there was a question of write atomicity when we
discussed this before. Atomicity and large writes generally do not
mix for the most common Linux filesystem implementations.

2023-08-06 19:40:03

by Rick Macklem

On Sun, Aug 6, 2023 at 9:28 AM Chuck Lever <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
> 8178) but I don't see anything specific there. It distinguishes
> between
>
> NFS4ERR_ILLEGAL - operation is not valid for this minor version
>
> and
>
> NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP - operation is valid for this minor version but is
> not supported by this implementation
>
> Because the specs are not clear about this, a client could remember
> the support status of an operation and not use that operation at all
> when a server shares a mix of filesystems that support a feature and
> filesystems that do not.
>
> But it looks like we have a de facto deviation from what was intended
> but not written in the protocol specs -- NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP is used by
> some implementations on a per-filesystem basis (not that I've actually
> audited the Linux server implementation yet).
>
> I would find documenting this de facto interpretation more palatable

I certainly have no problem with NFS4ERR_NOTSUPP being used
"per server file system".

> > > We've been talking privately and informally about implementing
> > > directory delegation in the Linux NFS server, so this one
> > > could be interesting. But there aren't enough details here to
> > > know whether this new attribute would be useful to us.
> > >
> > I wrote a bunch of code implementing directory delegations on FreeBSD,
> > but never completed the work to the point of testing.
> > I found that, for FreeBSD, it was infeasible to implement the client side
> > for server file systems where the directory offset cookie was not monotonically
> > increasing. (Basically maintaining ordering of "directory chunks" because too
> > difficult with being able to do so based on directory offset cookie ordering.)
> >
> > So, my implementation, if even completed, would only work for the case of
> > monotonically increasing directory offset cookies and detecting that that is
> > not the case "on the fly" would have been messy.
>
> I'm still not clear on what "monotonically increasing directory
> offsets" means.
>
> I'm familiar with only a couple of Linux filesystems, and they seem
> to use distinct offset values that increase monotonically as new
> entries are created in the directory. The offset values do not
> confer any particular information about entry locality.

When you implement client side caching of directory chunks and you
have a directory delegation for the directory, you can get notifications.
For example, take NOTIFY4_ADD_ENTRY:
- In that notify, there is nad_prev_entry, which has the pe_prev_entry_cookie.
--> Now you need to find "prev entry". If the directory offset cookies are
monotonically increasing, each cached directory chunk can be keyed by
the directory offset cookie of the first entry in the chunk and
the next chunk
will be keyed with the first directory offset cookie, which has
a value greater
than the one that preceeds it.
--> Easy to figure out which chunk holds the prev_entry, so that the new
entry can be added after it.
Without this ordering, I couldn't come up with an easy way to find the
previous entry except doing a linear search of the entire cache.
Also, if the cache does not hold the entire directory then even a linear
search could fail to find a match. Then what? (Read in the entire
directory to try and find the prev_entry?)
--> If the directory_offset_cookies are monotonically increasing, then
it is easy to see where the prev_entry would go, if it is not in the
cache and all that needs to be done is read in a chunk starting
a prev_entry's directory offset cookie and then add that chunk to
the cache (making sure you do not add duplicates of later entryies).

Maybe I missed something, but at least for the way FreeBSD maintains in
kernel memory caches of chunks, it was pretty straightforward to do the case
case of monotonically increasing directory offset cookies (with each chunk
keyed by the directory offset cookie of the first entry in the chunk).
Without the monotonically increasing property for directory offset cookies,
it was not feasible for my implementation attempt.
(The client implementation I coded was pretty complete, but has neve been
tested because I never got around to doing a server implementation and
no one else has either.)

> I checked. On Linux, fpathconf(3) does not list a MIN_HOLE_SIZE
> variable, fwiw.
>

> > > I'm not aware of a scenario where the Linux server would provide
> > > a value not equal to 1, so it would be easy for us to implement.
> > A value of 1 is of limited use. If an application is going to use the
> > information (btw, I think this pathconf name was in Solaris?), the
> > size (such as 32K or 128K) can be more useful.
> > --> No point in doing Seek if the data is not sufficiently sparse.
>
> To provide an implementation there just needs to be a clear use case
> for it and a clear explanation for the semantics of that value
> provided by an open specification.
>

> > > What would clients do with this information, aside from filling
> > > in a pathconf field? Might this value be of benefit for READ_PLUS?
> > As proposed, it does not give indications of "sparseness" for individual
> > files. It would, however, indicate if READ_PLUS can be useful.
> > --> If the server returns 0, there is no point in performing READ_PLUS.
> > (This was not explicitly stated in the draft, but should be.)
>
> That's where I'm thinking the benefit might be for clients that
> implement READ_PLUS but do not care about MIN_HOLE_SIZE.

> > > Can you elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve? Why
> > > isn't the current situation adequate?
> > For FreeBSD, an application can attempt to set a very large extended
> > attribute (I've actually done a 1Gbyte one on ZFS during testing).
> > As such, for NFSv4.2 it can attempt one up to the maximum allowable
> > size for a compound (a little over 1Mbyte).
> >
> > Without this attribute, most servers will fail with NFS4ERR_XATTR2BIG,
> > resulting in a fair amount of "on the wire" traffic for some application
> > that insists on doing large ones a lot.
> >
> > This attribute would allow the client to avoid putting Setxattr operations
> > with too large an attribute "on the wire", but it is a minor optimization.
>
> The Linux server restricts the maximum size of RPC messages during
> CREATE_SESSION, so it wouldn't be possible to write more than about
> a megabyte at maximum to an xattr residing on Linux. But I believe
> many of our local filesystem implementations do not support xattrs
> much larger than 64KB. This limit very likely varies depending on
> the filesystem.
>
> IMO large xattrs were not in the minds of the authors of RFC 8276.
> If applications want to store large amounts of data in secondary
> byte streams, they should use named attributes instead, since a
> named attribute I believe is written with WRITE, which enables
> extending the attribute size after it's been created.
>
> I remember also there was a question of write atomicity when we
> discussed this before. Atomicity and large writes generally do not
> mix for the most common Linux filesystem implementations.
I agree with all of the above. It would simply be convenient if the
Linux server could tell the FreeBSD client that nothing over 64K
works, so do not bother to try. Like Linux, FreeBSD does currently
limit the SETXATTR operation to approximately 1Mbyte, due to the
maximum limit of compound size specified via. ExchangeID.

rick