2022-10-21 14:11:14

by Salvatore Bonaccorso

Subject: systemd/50-nfs.conf and interoperability issue with intramfs-tools not including sunrpc into initrd

Hi Neil, hi Steve,

In Debian for the update including the systemd/50-nfs.conf there was a
report that sunrpc is not included anymore in the initrd through the
initramfs-tools hooks.

The report is at https://bugs.debian.org/1022172

As we would not start to diverge again from nfs-utils upstream and
keep in sync with upstream as much as possible I would like to retain
whatever is from nfs-utils upstream downstream as well.

Marco d'Intri suggested there three possible solutions, of which one
could be done in nfs-utils (whereas the other two are either in kmod
upstream or initramfs-tools upstream). The nfs-utils one would be to
replace the modprobe configuration with a set of udev rules instead.

What do you think?

Regards,
Salvatore

2022-10-23 22:14:44

by NeilBrown

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Hi Neil, hi Steve,
>
> In Debian for the update including the systemd/50-nfs.conf there was a
> report that sunrpc is not included anymore in the initrd through the
> initramfs-tools hooks.
>
> The report is at https://bugs.debian.org/1022172
>
> As we would not start to diverge again from nfs-utils upstream and
> keep in sync with upstream as much as possible I would like to retain
> whatever is from nfs-utils upstream downstream as well.
>
> Marco d'Intri suggested there three possible solutions, of which one
> could be done in nfs-utils (whereas the other two are either in kmod
> upstream or initramfs-tools upstream). The nfs-utils one would be to
> replace the modprobe configuration with a set of udev rules instead.
>
> What do you think?

I don't object to nfs-utils being changed to install an appropriate udev
rules file instead of the modprobe.d file. Would you be willing to
develop, test, and post a patch?

Thanks,
NeilBrown

2022-11-14 16:46:39

by Salvatore Bonaccorso

Hi Neil,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 09:05:57AM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2022, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > Hi Neil, hi Steve,
> >
> > In Debian for the update including the systemd/50-nfs.conf there was a
> > report that sunrpc is not included anymore in the initrd through the
> > initramfs-tools hooks.
> >
> > The report is at https://bugs.debian.org/1022172
> >
> > As we would not start to diverge again from nfs-utils upstream and
> > keep in sync with upstream as much as possible I would like to retain
> > whatever is from nfs-utils upstream downstream as well.
> >
> > Marco d'Intri suggested there three possible solutions, of which one
> > could be done in nfs-utils (whereas the other two are either in kmod
> > upstream or initramfs-tools upstream). The nfs-utils one would be to
> > replace the modprobe configuration with a set of udev rules instead.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I don't object to nfs-utils being changed to install an appropriate udev
> rules file instead of the modprobe.d file. Would you be willing to
> develop, test, and post a patch?

Thank you for this positive answer! Yes, I have asked affected persons
if they can help contribute to this and submit it upstream.

The specfic bug in Debian for nfs-utils in Debian is now
https://bugs.debian.org/1024082

Regards,
Salvatore

2022-11-25 13:13:54

by Salvatore Bonaccorso

Hi Neil,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 09:05:57AM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2022, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > Hi Neil, hi Steve,
> >
> > In Debian for the update including the systemd/50-nfs.conf there was a
> > report that sunrpc is not included anymore in the initrd through the
> > initramfs-tools hooks.
> >
> > The report is at https://bugs.debian.org/1022172
> >
> > As we would not start to diverge again from nfs-utils upstream and
> > keep in sync with upstream as much as possible I would like to retain
> > whatever is from nfs-utils upstream downstream as well.
> >
> > Marco d'Intri suggested there three possible solutions, of which one
> > could be done in nfs-utils (whereas the other two are either in kmod
> > upstream or initramfs-tools upstream). The nfs-utils one would be to
> > replace the modprobe configuration with a set of udev rules instead.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I don't object to nfs-utils being changed to install an appropriate udev
> rules file instead of the modprobe.d file. Would you be willing to
> develop, test, and post a patch?

I finally managed to work on it, and have posted the series at
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nfs/[email protected]/T/

Regards,
Salvatore