2024-03-11 14:13:45

by Chuck Lever

Subject: long-term stable backports of NFSD patches

It's apparent that a number of distributions and their customers
remain on long-term stable kernels. We are aware of the scalability
problems and other bugs in NFSD in kernels between v5.4 and v6.1.

To address the filecache and other scalability problems in those
kernels, I'm preparing backported patches of NFSD fixes for several
popular LTS kernels. The backported commits are destined for the
official LTS kernel branches so that distributions can easily
integrate them into their products.

Once this effort is complete, Greg and Sasha will continue to be
responsible for backporting NFSD-related fixes from upstream into
the LTS kernels.

Here's a status update.

---

I've pushed the NFSD backports to branches in this repo:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cel/linux.git

If you are able, I encourage you to pull these, review them or try
them out, and report any issues or successes. I'm currently using
the NFS workflows in kdevops as the testing platform, but am
planning to include other tests.

LTS v6.1.y

Patches that bring NFSD in linux-6.1.y up to v6.1.16 have been
merged into v6.1.81. I've identified a few additional filecache
related fixes that I will forward to Greg and Sasha soon.

LTS v5.15.y

I have updated this branch to include commits from v6.2.16 through
v5.16, all applied to v5.15.151. Testing has stopped while I work
on the v6.9 merge window.

You can find these patches in the "nfsd-5.15.y" branch in the above
repo.

LTS v5.10.y

I have updated this branch to include commits from v6.2.16 through
v5.11, all applied to v5.10.212. Testing has stopped while I work
on the v6.9 merge window.

You can find these patches in the "nfsd-5.10.y" branch in the above
repo.

--
Chuck Lever