2009-04-20 09:57:30

by howard chen

Subject: [NFS] Will NFS client use write-back caching?

Hello,

My client is running ext3, which default has 5 seconds of write-back
caching, e.g.

cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
499

Now, if this client connect to a NFS (v3), and write data to the NFS,
will write-back caching used?

Or it will fsync() after every write ?

Thanks.

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2009-04-20 12:57:25

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: [NFS] Will NFS client use write-back caching?

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 17:56 +0800, howard chen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My client is running ext3, which default has 5 seconds of write-back
> caching, e.g.
>
> cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
> 499
>
> Now, if this client connect to a NFS (v3), and write data to the NFS,
> will write-back caching used?

Yes. However it will always flush out data on close() in order to ensure
that other clients see the data (see
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/#faq_a8 ).

Trond

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2009-04-20 18:08:05

by Muntz, Daniel

NFS will do asynchronous writes by default, i.e., write-back caching.

-Dan