2013-01-21 16:00:07

by richard

Subject: Hanging nfs4+krb5 mounts with negative uids?

Hi all,

I have a question about nfs-utils. It's about a patch that was submitted,
way back in 2010, fixing hanging mounts because of a int/uint problem:

you can read the commit message at:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg14723.html

This code gets hit, e.g. with the new debian stable release where
nfs-kernel-server/nfs-common is upgraded to 1.2.6-3 (or upgrade
nfs-kernel-server from debian stable to debian unstable). On my nfsv4+krb5
system, this seems to do exactly the opposite of the patch: not fixing,
but in fact introducing a hanging mount.

When I change the code back from unsigned uid's to signed uid's the mount
works again.

Can anyone give me any help understanding why this is, or point me in a
direction in getting this solved? I very well might have just
misconfigured my nfsv4 + krb5 system (asking myself why am I getting
negative uids?)

Some more information to help debugging:

1) I'm running a VM as a kerberos KDC/admin server (debian sid/unstable)
2) I'm running a second VM as a nfsv4 server configured to use this
kerberos VM (debian squeeze/stable)
3) All VM's are running linux kernel 3.7 (no modules, crypto stuff
configured), time is synchronized by ntpdate
4) On both the nfs-server as an nfs-client, I can succesfully mount using
krb5/5i/5p.

Problem: once I dist-upgrade the nfs-server to unstable where
nfs-utils=1.2.6-3, the mount hangs as described in debian bug #682709.
When I delete the newly acquired
machine credential /tmp/krb5cc_machine_***, and retry the mount, the
syslog error is the following:

ERROR: GSS-API: error in gss_acquire_cred(): Unspecified GSS failure.
Minor code may provide more information - Unknown error

I have a patch available for 1.2.6-3 (basically the opposite of the
commit), that works for my environment. Just a few lines, can paste if
anyone is interested.

Thanks for the help!

Richard van den Toorn
(The Netherlands)

2013-01-21 16:11:24

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: Hanging nfs4+krb5 mounts with negative uids?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 04:07:39PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about nfs-utils. It's about a patch that was submitted,
> way back in 2010, fixing hanging mounts because of a int/uint problem:
>
> you can read the commit message at:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg14723.html
>
> This code gets hit, e.g. with the new debian stable release where
> nfs-kernel-server/nfs-common is upgraded to 1.2.6-3 (or upgrade
> nfs-kernel-server from debian stable to debian unstable). On my nfsv4+krb5
> system, this seems to do exactly the opposite of the patch: not fixing,
> but in fact introducing a hanging mount.
>
> When I change the code back from unsigned uid's to signed uid's the mount
> works again.

Assuming you're running kernel 3.7--this shoulds like the problem fixed
by kernel commit 621eb19ce1ec.. "svcrpc: Revert "sunrpc/cache.h: replace
simple_strtoul"", which has also been backported to 3.7.3. Could you
let us know whether applying that patch, or upgrading to 3.7.3, fixes
the problem?

--b.

> Can anyone give me any help understanding why this is, or point me in a
> direction in getting this solved? I very well might have just
> misconfigured my nfsv4 + krb5 system (asking myself why am I getting
> negative uids?)
>
> Some more information to help debugging:
>
> 1) I'm running a VM as a kerberos KDC/admin server (debian sid/unstable)
> 2) I'm running a second VM as a nfsv4 server configured to use this
> kerberos VM (debian squeeze/stable)
> 3) All VM's are running linux kernel 3.7 (no modules, crypto stuff
> configured), time is synchronized by ntpdate
> 4) On both the nfs-server as an nfs-client, I can succesfully mount using
> krb5/5i/5p.
>
> Problem: once I dist-upgrade the nfs-server to unstable where
> nfs-utils=1.2.6-3, the mount hangs as described in debian bug #682709.
> When I delete the newly acquired
> machine credential /tmp/krb5cc_machine_***, and retry the mount, the
> syslog error is the following:
>
> ERROR: GSS-API: error in gss_acquire_cred(): Unspecified GSS failure.
> Minor code may provide more information - Unknown error
>
> I have a patch available for 1.2.6-3 (basically the opposite of the
> commit), that works for my environment. Just a few lines, can paste if
> anyone is interested.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Richard van den Toorn
> (The Netherlands)

by richard

Hi Bruce,

Well done! Your answer to upgrade to a later version of the kernel fixed
the problem. I tested this on kernel 3.7.3 and it works beautifully.

Thanks very much!

Richard

>> This code gets hit, e.g. with the new debian stable release where
>> nfs-kernel-server/nfs-common is upgraded to 1.2.6-3 (or upgrade
>> nfs-kernel-server from debian stable to debian unstable). On my
>> nfsv4+krb5
>> system, this seems to do exactly the opposite of the patch: not fixing,
>> but in fact introducing a hanging mount.
>>
>> When I change the code back from unsigned uid's to signed uid's the
>> mount
>> works again.
>
> Assuming you're running kernel 3.7--this shoulds like the problem fixed
> by kernel commit 621eb19ce1ec.. "svcrpc: Revert "sunrpc/cache.h: replace
> simple_strtoul"", which has also been backported to 3.7.3. Could you
> let us know whether applying that patch, or upgrading to 3.7.3, fixes
> the problem?
>
> --b.

2013-01-21 16:05:41

[...]

2013-01-21 20:00:05

by J. Bruce Fields

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 08:38:16PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Well done! Your answer to upgrade to a later version of the kernel fixed
> the problem. I tested this on kernel 3.7.3 and it works beautifully.

Thanks for confirming.--b.