2019-06-21 17:49:16

by Daniel Kobras

Subject: Backport of "false retries" patch?

Hi!

Debugging a long-standing NFS problem that kept causing application
stalls and required frequent server reboots, we've identified symptoms
very similar to what's described in the "false retries" patch in
http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=trondmy/linux-nfs.git;a=commit;h=3453d5708b33efe76f40eca1c0ed60923094b971.
Unlike the original report
(https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg71508.html), we've seen this
issue trigger with older kernels than 4.20, eg. with Ubuntu's standard
and hwe kernels in its LTS releases.

Testing now with a vanilla 5.1 kernel that got the patch merged, has
been aggravated by an unrelated NFS regression
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/5/29/772) and is therefore still ongoing,
but looks promising so far.

As far as I can tell, the patch has only been merged for 5.1 and up.
Given that the bug seems to affect more systems than originally
reported, would you deem it appropriate for inclusion into some of the
older -stable trees?

Kind regards,

Daniel
--
Daniel Kobras
Principal Architect

--
Puzzle ITC Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jurastr. 27/1, 72072

Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 765802
Geschäftsführer:
Lukas Kallies, Daniel Kobras, Mark Pröhl