2010-09-01 23:02:07

by Ben Greear

Subject: Does the 2.6.34 kernel support NFS over IPv6?

If not, do more recent kernels?

I'm using Fedora 13.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Jeff Layton

Subject: Re: Does the 2.6.34 kernel support NFS over IPv6?

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:50:06 -0700
Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 09/01/2010 04:45 PM, Sorin Faibish wrote:
> > Yes. We tested at connectathon with Fedora.
> >

> > On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 18:02:10 -0400, Ben Greear <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> If not, do more recent kernels?
> >>
> >> I'm using Fedora 13.
> > Should work if configured properly.
>
> How about as a server? It doesn't seem to listen on IPv6
> addresses. I tried 2.6.36-rc2+ kernel as well.
>
> I tried setting /etc/exports to look like this:
>
> [root@localhost ~]# more /etc/exports
> /exports/tmp [2002::0/16](rw)
>
> [root@localhost ~]# netstat -an|grep LISTEN |grep 2049
> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2049 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
>
> I'm trying to test some NFS/IPv6 client changes, but I need
> at least a minimal IPv6 server to test against!
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Not quite -- we tested an earlier version of Chuck's mountd/exportfs
patches at Connectathon. Those are still not merged yet in mainline
nfs-utils.

For now, no Linux distro that I know of has server-side IPv6 support.
Once Chuck finishes posting his patches for mountd and exportfs, and
those are merged in mainline nfs-utils, it will.

The kernel is pretty much IPv6-ready though, so once you have a
suitably enabled nfs-utils it should work. If you want to play with
the patches for this, you can pull down Chuck's git repo from here:

http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/nfs-utils.git;a=summary

Jeff Layton <[email protected]>

2010-09-01 23:50:08

by Ben Greear

On 09/01/2010 04:45 PM, Sorin Faibish wrote:
> Yes. We tested at connectathon with Fedora.
>

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 18:02:10 -0400, Ben Greear <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> If not, do more recent kernels?
>>
>> I'm using Fedora 13.
> Should work if configured properly.

How about as a server? It doesn't seem to listen on IPv6
addresses. I tried 2.6.36-rc2+ kernel as well.

I tried setting /etc/exports to look like this:

[root@localhost ~]# more /etc/exports
/exports/tmp [2002::0/16](rw)

[root@localhost ~]# netstat -an|grep LISTEN |grep 2049
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2049 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

I'm trying to test some NFS/IPv6 client changes, but I need
at least a minimal IPv6 server to test against!

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>