2003-12-15 16:30:20

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: [Bluez-devel] New Bluetooth kernel patches available

Hi Folks,

I spent most time of the weekend to get out a new series of patches for
the 2.4 kernel. Actually there are six supported kernels and the latest
version of each patch also touches the input subsystem and parts of the
CAPI implementation. People who plan to play with the Bluetooth HID
support should enable CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT. The changelog and the patches
themself can be found here

http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/

It seems that the acceptance of these patches is very high, because the
top 10 downloads are these

2531 patch-2.4.22-mh1
1651 patch-2.4.20-mh12
1063 patch-2.4.21-mh2
868 patch-2.4.21-mh3
852 patch-2.4.20-mh10
788 patch-2.4.20-mh11
759 patch-2.4.21-mh4
560 patch-2.4.18-mh9
456 patch-2.4.20-mh6
418 patch-2.4.19-mh12

Even with my set of build and test scripts the job in putting out a new
series of patches and backporting features to the older kernels consumes
too much of my time. I personally don't use these patches anymore, but
it seems that some people or companies still use them. At the moment I
am thinking of cutting the maintenance for these kernels. Who has urgent
needs that an older kernel version is still supported?

Regards

Marcel

by Daryl Van Vorst

Marcel,

WideRay will be using the 2.4.18 and 2.4.21 patches for some time. The
2.4.21 patches are more important to us than the 2.4.18 patches. 2.4.21
appears to be the latest 2.4 series kernel for which there are arm =
(xscale)
patches available.

I realize the 2.4.18 kernel is getting pretty old... But it doesn't =
hurt to
ask. ;)

-Daryl.

2003-12-18 18:03:35

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Aaron,

> We have found a few problems through our initial qualification efforts and
> hopefully we'll be able to release info/patches for those soon. More of the
> current problems stem from SDP and not the kernel though.

the SDP code will undergo a complete rewrite, but at the moment only the
client side is ready. However we are also taking SDP patches for the
current version, because I haven't set any date where the new Bluetooth
library should be ready.

If you found bugs in the kernel layers, please go with them first and
always include a binary hcidump, so we can check what was going on.

Regards

Marcel

by Aaron Klish

Hi Marcel,

Sorry about the last empty message.

We have found a few problems through our initial qualification efforts and
hopefully we'll be able to release info/patches for those soon. More of the
current problems stem from SDP and not the kernel though.

Aaron

------------
Aaron Klish
Bluetooth Software Engineer
Motorola PCS
PH# (217) 384-8598
FX# (217) 384-8550

[X] Motorola General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Aaron Klish wrote:

> ------------
> Aaron Klish
> Bluetooth Software Engineer
> Motorola PCS
> PH# (217) 384-8598
> FX# (217) 384-8550
>
> [X] Motorola General Business Information
> [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
> [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary
>
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>
> > Hi Aaron,
> >
> > > Motorola will use the 2.4.20 patches for sometime. We'd appreciate it
> > > if you could continue to maintain that line. Thanks.
> >
> > so what to do next?
> >
> > Sharp Zaurus (ROM 3.10) 2.4.18
> > Familiar Linux v0.7.x 2.4.19
> > Motorola 2.4.20
> > OpenZaurus 2.4.21
> > Most desktops 2.4.22
> > Latest stable 2.4.23
> >
> > For now the latest patch versions are proven to be rock solid and I hope
> > we don't need any further updates in future. But as all of us already
> > know, nobody is perfect.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel

by Aaron Klish

------------

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I spent most time of the weekend to get out a new series of patches for
> the 2.4 kernel. Actually there are six supported kernels and the latest
> version of each patch also touches the input subsystem and parts of the
> CAPI implementation. People who plan to play with the Bluetooth HID
> support should enable CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT. The changelog and the patches
> themself can be found here
>
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/
>
> It seems that the acceptance of these patches is very high, because the
> top 10 downloads are these
>
> 2531 patch-2.4.22-mh1
> 1651 patch-2.4.20-mh12
> 1063 patch-2.4.21-mh2
> 868 patch-2.4.21-mh3
> 852 patch-2.4.20-mh10
> 788 patch-2.4.20-mh11
> 759 patch-2.4.21-mh4
> 560 patch-2.4.18-mh9
> 456 patch-2.4.20-mh6
> 418 patch-2.4.19-mh12
>
> Even with my set of build and test scripts the job in putting out a new
> series of patches and backporting features to the older kernels consumes
> too much of my time. I personally don't use these patches anymore, but
> it seems that some people or companies still use them. At the moment I
> am thinking of cutting the maintenance for these kernels. Who has urgent
> needs that an older kernel version is still supported?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Stephen Crane

Hi Marcel,

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 22:41, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> > 2.4.18 is needed for the Sharp Zaurus (ROM 3.10) and actually using a BT
> > keyboard would be way cool :-)
>
> do you know what Bluetooth stack is used by Sharp in their ROM?

They don't have one explicitly. BlueZ works fine though!

> I hope that until CeBIT I get a demo with ISDN and HID running on my
> iPAQ and make some people google.
>
> > I'd say maintain it and 2.4.23.
>
> The 2.4.18 is the one that takes the most time :(

Yeah, it might be an idea just to forget about Sharp's and move to
Familiar.

Steve
--
Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

2003-12-16 09:22:21

by Matthias Thomae

Hi Stephen, Marcel, all,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>>2.4.18 is needed for the Sharp Zaurus (ROM 3.10) and actually using a BT
>>keyboard would be way cool :-)

I think so, too, especially when there are foldable keyboards available
:), see http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/dal-11.12.03-000/

> do you know what Bluetooth stack is used by Sharp in their ROM?

AFAIK, they have no built-in bluetooth support, but there is a variant
of the Sharp ROM from theKompany
(http://www.thekompany.com/embedded/rom/) which has BlueZ support
(stemming from http://tumnus.zaurii.net/, please anyone correct me if I
am wrong).

Also, the current testing version of OpenZaurus (3.3.5)
(http://www.openzaurus.org/oz_website/content/news)
uses a 2.4.18 kernel, and bluez seems to run with the packages from
tumnus and an Anycom CF card on my SL-5500.

However, the OZ developers see the 2.4.18 based OZ as an interim
solution until they have their own port of the 2.4.21 kernel, see
http://openzaurus.org/newsletters/2003.12/

So it would be nice if the 2.4.21 could also be maintained!

But maybe Marcel would want to contact the OZ developers directly (e.g.
via [email protected]) to talk about their plans. I
am sure they are interested in BlueZ support for OZ, especially with the
coming Zaurus SL-6000 that has a built-in bluetooth module.

Regards.
Matthias

2003-12-15 22:41:59

by Marcel Holtmann