2006-11-16 10:05:23

by Mayank BATRA

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Can I create an eSCO connection using BlueZ?

Hi,

Is there any method with which I can create an eSCO connection using the BlueZ stack?
I mean, if I create a socket in the following manner:
int s;
s = socket(PF_BLUETOOTH, SOCK_SEQPACKET, BTPROTO_SCO);

then the command sent will be "Add Sco Connection".

But the problem is that my device (BT2.0)does not support this command as it has been deprecated since v1.2.
My device supports only "Setup Synchronous Command".

(eSCO connections can be created using only Setup Synchronous Command.)

In other words, my question is does BlueZ Stack send Setup Synchronous Command to establish Synchronous connections?

Best Regards,

Mayank

by Fabien Chevalier

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Fabien,
>
>>> Is there any method with which I can create an eSCO connection using the BlueZ stack?
>>> I mean, if I create a socket in the following manner:
>>> int s;
>>> s = socket(PF_BLUETOOTH, SOCK_SEQPACKET, BTPROTO_SCO);
>>>
>>> then the command sent will be "Add Sco Connection".
>>>
>>> But the problem is that my device (BT2.0)does not support this command as it has been deprecated since v1.2.
>>> My device supports only "Setup Synchronous Command".
>>>
>> Interesting : Could you tell me which is the device in your case that
>> does not support the BT 1.2 anymore ? Is it the host controller or the
>> headset ?
>
> it can only be the dongle and the "Add SCO Connection" command has
> already been deprecated with the Bluetooth 1.2 specification. However
> most dongles still support it for backward compatibility.

Thanks for your answers guys :-)

I guess then it's just a matter of checking if this feature is supported
in the features bitmask, and send "Setup Synchronous Command" instead of
"Add SCO Connection" if this is the case.

It shouldn't be too complicated to hack bluez to support this...

Cheers,

Fabien

by Mayank BATRA

Hi Fabien,

> > Interesting : Could you tell me which is the device in your
> case that
> > does not support the BT 1.2 anymore ? Is it the host
> controller or the
> > headset ?

Of course it is the host controller and it does not support
BT 1.1. But it supports BT 1.2.

Best Regards,

Mayank

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Fabien,

> > Is there any method with which I can create an eSCO connection using the BlueZ stack?
> > I mean, if I create a socket in the following manner:
> > int s;
> > s = socket(PF_BLUETOOTH, SOCK_SEQPACKET, BTPROTO_SCO);
> >
> > then the command sent will be "Add Sco Connection".
> >
> > But the problem is that my device (BT2.0)does not support this command as it has been deprecated since v1.2.
> > My device supports only "Setup Synchronous Command".
> >

> Interesting : Could you tell me which is the device in your case that
> does not support the BT 1.2 anymore ? Is it the host controller or the
> headset ?

it can only be the dongle and the "Add SCO Connection" command has
already been deprecated with the Bluetooth 1.2 specification. However
most dongles still support it for backward compatibility.

Regards

Marcel

by Fabien Chevalier

Hi,
> Hi,
>
> Is there any method with which I can create an eSCO connection using the BlueZ stack?
> I mean, if I create a socket in the following manner:
> int s;
> s = socket(PF_BLUETOOTH, SOCK_SEQPACKET, BTPROTO_SCO);
>
> then the command sent will be "Add Sco Connection".
>
> But the problem is that my device (BT2.0)does not support this command as it has been deprecated since v1.2.
> My device supports only "Setup Synchronous Command".

Interesting : Could you tell me which is the device in your case that
does not support the BT 1.2 anymore ? Is it the host controller or the
headset ?

Cheers,

Fabien

by Mayank BATRA

Hi Marcel,

> no it doesn't support eSCO setups. The reason for that is that nobody
> actually sent a kernel patch to add this support and I never
> needed it.

Actually I'm not interested in creating eSCO setup exactly.
My requirement is that while trying to create any synchronous
connection(SCO/eSCO),
I want a Setup Synchronous Command to be sent over HCI rather than
an Add SCO Command.

Is it possible?

Best Regards,

Mayank