2008-07-07 14:16:32

by David Stockwell

Subject: [Bluez-devel] SSP testing and BlueZ

While attempting to test SSP with 3.34-3.35, I found that I was unable
to pair with SSP; I was able to pair with the legacy
pin-request/response mode. I checked the HCI level of my aging BT
dongle (somehow this sounds a bit "dirty"), and found that it was only
HCI 1.1 compliant. Replacing it with a BT2.0+EDR compliant dongle, I
found that it still would not pair with SSP.

Consulting with CSR, they confirmed that unless both devices are
Bluetooth HCI 2.1 compliant, SSP will not work; it will always fall back
to Legacy pairing.

I searched yesterday for HCI 2.1-compliant dongles, and found only one,
from Logitec (not Logitech) in Japan. These are not available in the US
market.

So much for SSP testing, for me at least. Fortunately for me, my app
does not need this enhanced security...

David Stockwell
Frequency One

by Martin Karger

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] SSP testing and BlueZ

David Stockwell wrote:
> While attempting to test SSP with 3.34-3.35, I found that I was unable
> to pair with SSP; I was able to pair with the legacy
> pin-request/response mode. I checked the HCI level of my aging BT
> dongle (somehow this sounds a bit "dirty"), and found that it was only
> HCI 1.1 compliant. Replacing it with a BT2.0+EDR compliant dongle, I
> found that it still would not pair with SSP.
>
> Consulting with CSR, they confirmed that unless both devices are
> Bluetooth HCI 2.1 compliant, SSP will not work; it will always fall back
> to Legacy pairing.
>
> I searched yesterday for HCI 2.1-compliant dongles, and found only one,
> from Logitec (not Logitech) in Japan. These are not available in the US
> market.

you can update CSRs BT2.0 with 2.1 Firmware. That should work. I think
you can download the firmware on the csr support site.