2003-06-06 14:11:37

by Stephen Crane

Subject: [Bluez-devel] [ANN] Zaurus BlueZ kernel packages for ROM v3.10

Hi,
I don't want to preempt the official packager of the Zaurus BlueZ
distribution but I couldn't wait for Sharp to get around to distributing
the kernel source and needed to try out BlueZ on the new ROM.

So I built BlueZ kernel modules from a vanilla 2.4.18 plus Marcel's
2.4.18-mh6 patch-set and a bit of tweaking to the 2.4.6 kernel config
file.

>>From cursory testing, they seem to be ok: bluecard_cs is successfully
loaded and the latest versions of hciconfig, hcitool and sdptool all
work fine. (However YMMV, no warranty, don't blame me if your Z catches
fire, etc.)

I've uploaded them to our anonymous ftp area, along with the PCMCIA
configuration files, bluetooth and bluetooth.conf. Get them from
ftp://rococosoft.com/pub/zaurus

Installation:
* unpack the tar-ball in the /home/root/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix
directory
* run depmod -ae
* install bluetooth and bluetooth.conf in /etc/pcmcia
* run /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart

Cheers,
Steve
--
Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

by Stephen Crane

Hi Marcel,

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 16:37, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> the current Zaurus packages are done by Joseph Ecker and the kernel
> modules are based on the deprecated bluez-kernel-2.3 package. It seems
> that it is really time to have up-to-date kernel modules for the Zaurus.
> Frist I don't like Joseph last choise to put the userspace tools and the
> kernel modules into one big package. I like to see the kernel stuff
> seperated from the userspace tools.

Yeah me too. Particularly because it's much easier to build the
user-space tools with a cross-compiler.

> However I have no Zaurus, so I can't
> help with that. But some time ago I put some scripts in the BlueZ kernel
> CVS repository which makes it possible to compile and install the
> Bluetooth modules outside the kernel source. Maybe you should take a
> look at it and provide some easy to install ipk packages.

I will think about doing this if I get some time. For now, I have
uploaded the latest basic user-space binaries separately to
ftp://rococosoft.com/pub/zaurus with instructions for installing them in
the right places. It would not be too hard to write packaging scripts
for them --- indeed this is something anyone could do using the
ipkg-build script; volunteers?

> The OpenZaurus project will use a 2.4.19 in future and hopefully they
> include my patch. Do anyone have details about this.

We only have 2 Zauruses here (one with the older Sharp ROM and the other
with the new one) so I can't try OpenZaurus :-(

Steve
--
Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

2003-06-06 15:37:01

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Stephen,

> I don't want to preempt the official packager of the Zaurus BlueZ
> distribution but I couldn't wait for Sharp to get around to distributing
> the kernel source and needed to try out BlueZ on the new ROM.
>
> So I built BlueZ kernel modules from a vanilla 2.4.18 plus Marcel's
> 2.4.18-mh6 patch-set and a bit of tweaking to the 2.4.6 kernel config
> file.
>
> >From cursory testing, they seem to be ok: bluecard_cs is successfully
> loaded and the latest versions of hciconfig, hcitool and sdptool all
> work fine. (However YMMV, no warranty, don't blame me if your Z catches
> fire, etc.)
>
> I've uploaded them to our anonymous ftp area, along with the PCMCIA
> configuration files, bluetooth and bluetooth.conf. Get them from
> ftp://rococosoft.com/pub/zaurus
>
> Installation:
> * unpack the tar-ball in the /home/root/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix
> directory
> * run depmod -ae
> * install bluetooth and bluetooth.conf in /etc/pcmcia
> * run /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart

the current Zaurus packages are done by Joseph Ecker and the kernel
modules are based on the deprecated bluez-kernel-2.3 package. It seems
that it is really time to have up-to-date kernel modules for the Zaurus.
Frist I don't like Joseph last choise to put the userspace tools and the
kernel modules into one big package. I like to see the kernel stuff
seperated from the userspace tools. However I have no Zaurus, so I can't
help with that. But some time ago I put some scripts in the BlueZ kernel
CVS repository which makes it possible to compile and install the
Bluetooth modules outside the kernel source. Maybe you should take a
look at it and provide some easy to install ipk packages.

The OpenZaurus project will use a 2.4.19 in future and hopefully they
include my patch. Do anyone have details about this.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Xavier,

> > Do you have any hint about where it may be? Maybe the Zaurus does not
> send
> > appropriate signals to the driver that it is shutting down? I'd like to
> look
> > into this, but I need some direction first. For instance, if it affects
> all
> > drivers, not just dtl1_cs, then either all drivers have the same "bug", or
> > the bug is in the bluez core, right?
>
> Laptops are affected as well, at least those using bc3c_cs...

the bt3c_cs is another story due the needed firmware load :(

Regards

Marcel

by Xavier Garreau

> Do you have any hint about where it may be? Maybe the Zaurus does not
send
> appropriate signals to the driver that it is shutting down? I'd like to
look
> into this, but I need some direction first. For instance, if it affects
all
> drivers, not just dtl1_cs, then either all drivers have the same "bug", or
> the bug is in the bluez core, right?

Laptops are affected as well, at least those using bc3c_cs...

BR
--
Xavier Garreau

2003-07-02 01:10:21

by Justin Karneges

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 05:26 pm, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > What is significant about cardctl suspend? This will break the driver
> > also, and perhaps it easier to look into this than the full pda suspend.
>
> As I know, that happen to all cards with a special driver (dtl1_cs and
> bluecard_cs) and I don't know why.

As soon as I am able to build the modules, is there any way I can help you
assist in debugging this? Maybe I can sprinkle some printfs around the
suspend-handling code or elsewhere, and we can track down at what point the
driver fails?

-Justin

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Justin,

> > the two big parts with BlueZ are the kernel modules and the userspace
> > stuff. The kernel stuff is the essential and the most problematic part.
> > And I think that we should have a package which only contains the BlueZ
> > kernel modules. Maybe we need different builds from the same source for
> > Sharp Kernel 2.4.6, 2.4.18 and OpenZaurus Kernel 2.4.18, 2.4.19.
>
> This would be nice, if indeed we can support this on 2.4.6. Although, I
> believe the earlier Sharp ROM has similar suspending issues related to
> cardmgr (this is what Max told me in January). For bluetooth to work
> reliably here, we may need to offer a cardmgr upgrade.

let us first get a BlueZ kernel package, before we talk about updating
or replacing other daemons or tools.

> > I don't have a Zaurus, so I can't help here. Who wants to volunteer for
> > the Zaurus kernel package maintainer?
>
> I would like to volunteer for this, when I get a build setup working (I will
> try Stephen's soon).

Ok.

> > The BlueZ CVS module "kernel" contains a build system for building the
> > BlueZ kernel modules outside a kernel source tree. I am willing to
> > extend this as needed.
>
> What extensions do you suppose are needed?

I hope that you don't need any extensions. Have you tried it?

> [...]

> > "cardctl suspend ; cardctl resume" will leave the driver in an unusable
> > state. Running "cardctl eject ; cardctl insert" fixes the problem. I'm
> > willing to hack on the driver and remedy this, if I could just figure out
> > how to cross-compile the modules...
>
> This is a known problem, but I don't have a Zaurus and so I can't test
> it. On my development machine is this working without any problems.

Do you have any hint about where it may be? Maybe the Zaurus does not send
appropriate signals to the driver that it is shutting down? I'd like to look
into this, but I need some direction first. For instance, if it affects all
drivers, not just dtl1_cs, then either all drivers have the same "bug", or
the bug is in the bluez core, right?

What is significant about cardctl suspend? This will break the driver also,
and perhaps it easier to look into this than the full pda suspend.

2003-07-01 13:02:37

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> See http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/dtl1.html

this package is not longer maintained, because the driver is part of the
official kernel and it is also part of my kernel patches.

> It was only merged in 2.4.20 and 2.5.30. Perhaps Marcel needs to provide
> it in his BlueZ patch for 2.4.18 and 2.4.19?

The dtl1_cs driver was in these patches from the beginning. Look at the
changelog and search for "Support for Nokia Bluetooth cards".

Regards

Marcel

by Stephen Crane

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 10:27, Justin Karneges wrote:
> What about the kernel modules?

Well I have a sort of heath-robinson setup here which works (but I'm not
recommending it). If you have the bandwidth, download this:

ftp://rococosoft.com/pub/zaurus/linux-2.4.18-pxa3-embedix.tar.bz2

It is a kludged-together source tree which can't build the kernel (but
manages the modules we're interested).

You can get fairly recent binaries from that site as well (they're the
ones which Xavier used, AFAIR).

Steve
--
Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

by Stephen Crane

See http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/dtl1.html

It was only merged in 2.4.20 and 2.5.30. Perhaps Marcel needs to provide
it in his BlueZ patch for 2.4.18 and 2.4.19?

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 10:27, Justin Karneges wrote:
> Excellent, Stephen. :)
>
> What about the kernel modules? By the way, is dtl1_cs meant to be separated
> from the kernel? I didn't see it in 2.4.18 even after applying
> patch-2.4.18-mh7.
>
> -Justin
>
> On Tuesday 01 July 2003 02:12 am, Stephen Crane wrote:
> > Justin,
> > You can cross-compile the user-space parts of BlueZ as follows:
> >
> > export CC=arm-linux-gcc
> > export LD=arm-linux-ld
> > export NM=arm-linux-nm
> > export RANLIB=arm-linux-ranlib
> > export PATH=/opt/Embedix/tools/bin:$PATH
> > ./configure --prefix=/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux --host=arm-linux
> > make
> >
> > (This is how I do it anyway.)

> > > What I'd like is to have an official "zaurus bluetooth" CVS for all of
> > > this stuff, that can be periodically sync'ed with bluez. Then we can
> > > generate packages however we wish. Personally, I just want one package
> > > that has everything. A newbie should be able to install the "Zaurus
> > > Bluetooth package" and be up and running, without touching the command
> > > line.
> >
> > I disagree about the need for an official Zaurus CVS. We can put the
> > scripts to build the Zaurus packages in the normal place (as is done for
> > the rpm spec files).
> >
> > > I'm willing to create builds too, as soon as I can figure out how to
> > > actually do it. It seems I'm able to build the libs / utils by hand
> > > (running arm-linux-gcc on each file and taking what i need. can't seem
> > > to use autotools correctly ...), but I've had no luck with building
> > > kernel modules (they just crash when used). What is your secret? Got
> > > any URLs?
> > >
> > > Also, I think I found a bug in dtl1_cs and/or bluez itself: the card
> > > cannot survive a suspend. Turning off / on the Zaurus, or simply running
> > > "cardctl suspend ; cardctl resume" will leave the driver in an unusable
> > > state. Running "cardctl eject ; cardctl insert" fixes the problem. I'm
> > > willing to hack on the driver and remedy this, if I could just figure out
> > > how to cross-compile the modules...

Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

2003-07-01 09:27:38

by Justin Karneges

Excellent, Stephen. :)

What about the kernel modules? By the way, is dtl1_cs meant to be separated
from the kernel? I didn't see it in 2.4.18 even after applying
patch-2.4.18-mh7.

-Justin

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 02:12 am, Stephen Crane wrote:
> Justin,
> You can cross-compile the user-space parts of BlueZ as follows:
>
> export CC=arm-linux-gcc
> export LD=arm-linux-ld
> export NM=arm-linux-nm
> export RANLIB=arm-linux-ranlib
> export PATH=/opt/Embedix/tools/bin:$PATH
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux --host=arm-linux
> make
>
> (This is how I do it anyway.)

> > > This can be added in the utils package. I think we need a kernel
> > > package, a libs package and a utils package. But it can be further
> > > discussed...
> >
> > What I'd like is to have an official "zaurus bluetooth" CVS for all of
> > this stuff, that can be periodically sync'ed with bluez. Then we can
> > generate packages however we wish. Personally, I just want one package
> > that has everything. A newbie should be able to install the "Zaurus
> > Bluetooth package" and be up and running, without touching the command
> > line.
>
> I disagree about the need for an official Zaurus CVS. We can put the
> scripts to build the Zaurus packages in the normal place (as is done for
> the rpm spec files).
>
> > I'm willing to create builds too, as soon as I can figure out how to
> > actually do it. It seems I'm able to build the libs / utils by hand
> > (running arm-linux-gcc on each file and taking what i need. can't seem
> > to use autotools correctly ...), but I've had no luck with building
> > kernel modules (they just crash when used). What is your secret? Got
> > any URLs?
> >
> > Also, I think I found a bug in dtl1_cs and/or bluez itself: the card
> > cannot survive a suspend. Turning off / on the Zaurus, or simply running
> > "cardctl suspend ; cardctl resume" will leave the driver in an unusable
> > state. Running "cardctl eject ; cardctl insert" fixes the problem. I'm
> > willing to hack on the driver and remedy this, if I could just figure out
> > how to cross-compile the modules...

by Justin Karneges

Max, Marcel, can you comment on this bug? I'd like to get to the bottom of
it.

-Justin

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 12:12 am, Xavier Garreau wrote:
> > Also, I think I found a bug in dtl1_cs and/or bluez itself: the card
>
> cannot
>
> > survive a suspend. Turning off / on the Zaurus, or simply running
>
> "cardctl
>
> > suspend ; cardctl resume" will leave the driver in an unusable state.
> > Running "cardctl eject ; cardctl insert" fixes the problem. I'm willing

> > hack on the driver and remedy this, if I could just figure out how to
> > cross-compile the modules...
>
> This bug happens with every PC Card | CF Card I've tested.
>
> BR

by Xavier Garreau

http://www.xgarreau.org/