2003-09-09 09:54:27

by David Woodhouse

Subject: [Bluez-devel] CF cards capable of 1Mbps?

Slightly off-topic question... can anyone recommend a CF Bluetooth card
which can actually do 1Mbps? Preferably available in the UK.

Many of them are advertised that way, but turn out to have a UART which
is only capable of 115200 baud. The hardware compatibility list probably
ought to give the maximum speeds.

--
dwmw2

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] CF cards capable of 1Mbps?

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 14:20 +0200, Nils Faerber wrote:
> The fact that the UART of the CF card sais it would run at 115kbps does
> not at all mean that the actual data throughput is only 115kbps.
> For example we have a Brainboxes CF card which you set to 115kbps but
> actually uses 1Mbps between the UART and the CSR chipset then. The UART
> clock is simply higher so that a devider for 115kbps results in 1Mbps.
> Only if your OS tries to setup something based on the baudrate you would
> be in trouble here. Linux has no problems with the extra bitrate.

This is true. Which is why I confirmed with BNEP bandwidth tests that I
only get about 9-10Kbps transfer rate, and checked what speed the CSR
chip thinks it's talking at too...

# pskey -d /dev/tts/0 -b
Physical device :/dev/tts/0
Speed :115200
Use BCSP :YES
Initiating read thread
BT SYS: Initializing BCSP
BT SYS: BCSP initialized and syncronized
Synchronized
Successfully read firmware info.
Firmware version: 272
pskey>191
Key 0191 length 10
01d8 0006 00fa 0014 0004 0000 0004 001e 0064 000a

The information about the Brainboxes card is appreciated -- thanks.
http://www.brainboxes.com/products/bluetooth/product.asp?id=BL-565
says only 721Kbps, but that'll do me fine; I'll see if I can find one of
those for slightly less than the insane amount of money they seem to
claim is the recommended price.

I had a Cyberblue BLUE-CF01 which had a baud_base of 1152000, but the
first one went back due to radio-side reliability problems -- only about
1 in 5 times would it detect and correctly get name from my phone which
was sitting right next to it. The second one was better for a while, but
then started to lose RX characters, until last week it finally gave up
completely and I don't receive _anything_ from the CSR chip. I don't
think I want another of those :)

--
dwmw2

by Nils Faerber

Am Di, 2003-09-09 um 11.54 schrieb David Woodhouse:
> Slightly off-topic question... can anyone recommend a CF Bluetooth card
> which can actually do 1Mbps? Preferably available in the UK.
>
> Many of them are advertised that way, but turn out to have a UART which
> is only capable of 115200 baud. The hardware compatibility list probably
> ought to give the maximum speeds.

The fact that the UART of the CF card sais it would run at 115kbps does
not at all mean that the actual data throughput is only 115kbps.
For example we have a Brainboxes CF card which you set to 115kbps but
actually uses 1Mbps between the UART and the CSR chipset then. The UART
clock is simply higher so that a devider for 115kbps results in 1Mbps.
Only if your OS tries to setup something based on the baudrate you would
be in trouble here. Linux has no problems with the extra bitrate.

CU
nils faerber

--
kernel concepts Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24 Fax: +49-271-771091-19

by Halam Rose

1 Mbps is the bulk data rate but there are overheads so only 723Kbps is
possible with any Bluetooth link.

Halam