2003-12-14 21:08:59

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Getting in touch with libs2 and utils2

Hi Folks,

this is a mini HOWTO to give you directions how to test the new
generations of the Bluetooth library and utils. For most people the
important thing will be the HID support ;)

The first thing I have to tell you is that this code is only available
in CVS and until the new Bluetooth device manager and SDP daemon are not
ready this will definitely not change. So you have to check out the
libs2 and utils2 repositories by yourself. If you have done so, you can
use this commands to install them without effecting anything of your
current Bluetooth setups.

cd libs2
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/opt/bluetooth
make && make install

cd utils2
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/opt/bluetooth --with-bluetooth=/opt/bluetooth
make && make install

After that you have installed your software under /opt/bluetooth or any
other prefix you have choosen. At the moment we don't link the library
search path into the programs so you have to modify your /etc/ld.so.conf
to make your library found by the loader.

echo /opt/bluetooth/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf
ldconfig

Feel free to play with it and send bug reports to the mailing list.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Charles,

> success !!! Works much better than the hacked bthid under gentoo
> 2.6test11.
>
> I followed your guide below (preceded by a cvs checkout of course). I
> then ran
>
> - hcid (from the gentoo bluez packages)
> - /opt/bluetooth/sbin/bthid --daemon
> - moving mouse --> discover message in syslog : WORKS. YOUPI !!!

this is good to hear.

> I don't have any other Bluetooth hardware (beside my Ericsson T68 which
> isn't a HID device AFAIK), so I can't make much more tests.

I have and even 7 HID devices in one piconet are working fine.

> Apparently, gentoo creates the uinput device in /dev/misc instead of the
> usual /dev/input. Thanks to Marcel for testing both in parser.c !

It is the normal way of doing this ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Charles Bueche

Hi,

success !!! Works much better than the hacked bthid under gentoo
2.6test11.

I followed your guide below (preceded by a cvs checkout of course). I
then ran

- hcid (from the gentoo bluez packages)
- /opt/bluetooth/sbin/bthid --daemon
- moving mouse --> discover message in syslog : WORKS. YOUPI !!!

With the hacked bthid, I had problems in startup (mouse not always
discovered, etc).

I don't have any other Bluetooth hardware (beside my Ericsson T68 which
isn't a HID device AFAIK), so I can't make much more tests.

Apparently, gentoo creates the uinput device in /dev/misc instead of the
usual /dev/input. Thanks to Marcel for testing both in parser.c !

I will now take the time to update my Web page. THX.

Charles