2004-03-03 03:02:19

by Mitsu Hadeishi

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Suspend/resume issues with bluez

Hi, just thought I'd run this issue past you folks. I'm running the bluez
stack and utilities from Debian unstable on kernel 2.4.22-x1 (Xandros Desktop
2) on a Thinkpad T40p. It seems to run fine when I first boot; I am able to
discover other devices, they can discover me. I am a newbie trying to use
this protocol stack; so I haven't yet gotten any applications to work yet.
However, it seems to function, basically.

The problem is bluez never seems to work again after a suspend/resume. I have
tried shutting down the Bluetooth card (you can do with with Fn-F5 on a
Thinkpad) before suspending, as well as doing hciconfig hci0 down, and even
rmmod rfcomm, rmmod hci_usb (rmmod l2cap never seems to work) before
suspending, and then modprobe them back afterwards. Though my machine does
not hang or crash when coming back from suspend, the Bluetooth card never
works again. hciconfig -a prints nothing.

Interestingly, before I installed the bluez stack, whenever I hit Fn-F5 it
would freeze my machine. Now, it doesn't freeze it, but correctly toggles
the little LED saying Bluetooth is active/inactive. When bluez is working,
Fn-F5 makes hciconfig -a report the device there, then Fn-F5 again will make
hciconfig -a report nothing. But after a suspend/resume, Fn-F5 will *still*
toggle the Bluetooth LED, but hciconfig -a never shows a card.

Rebooting the system causes bluez to work again.

Mitsu
--
http://www.syntheticzero.com/

by Nils Faerber

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Suspend/resume issues with bluez

Am Di, den 09.03.2004 schrieb Mitsu Hadeishi um 23:54:
> Hi,
Hi!

> Just a note to the list regarding suspend/resume. I have a Thinkpad T40p
> which was having problems with bluez and suspend/resume. I just tried
> installing the Affix drivers on my Thinkpad T40p; but I had the same problem
> (well, it was slightly different, but the upshot was, Bluetooth didn't work
> when I came back from suspend).
>
> So I tried a suggestion written by someone else on this list, which was not
> only to unload all of the Bluetooth modules, but also unload and reload the
> USB modules. This DID work, at least with the Affix drivers. Perhaps the
> same trick would work with the bluez drivers.

>>From my experience simply unloading the USB host controller driver
should be fully sufficient!
What happens is that the host controller is first removed. With removing
the host all devices disappear and are freed automatically.
When the system comes back simply insmod the host controller driver
again. The host will come back up and all devices are discovered as new
devices and will be initialised properly.

It may be though that you have to wait a moment after removing the host
controller driver module, like "sleep 1" before going to sleep. The 2.4.
kernel still has some problems to identify in some circumstances if all
pre-suspend actions have been performed properly.

On Debian I do on suspend

/etc/hotplug/usb.rc stop
sleep 1

and of course the inverse on resume

/etc/hotplug/usb.rc start

without sleeping.

Works really good and also prevents some other nasty USB problems.

> Mitsu
CU
nils faerber

--
kernel concepts Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24 Fax: +49-271-771091-19

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mitsu,

> Just a note to the list regarding suspend/resume. I have a Thinkpad T40p
> which was having problems with bluez and suspend/resume. I just tried
> installing the Affix drivers on my Thinkpad T40p; but I had the same problem
> (well, it was slightly different, but the upshot was, Bluetooth didn't work
> when I came back from suspend).

I think the problem is in the USB subsystem at the moment. There are
some outstanding issues with some USB cards, but Alan Stern is going to
fix them. This will only happen for 2.6.x and I don't think that these
issues can be solved in 2.4, too.

Regards

Marcel

by Mitsu Hadeishi

Hi,

Just a note to the list regarding suspend/resume. I have a Thinkpad T40p
which was having problems with bluez and suspend/resume. I just tried
installing the Affix drivers on my Thinkpad T40p; but I had the same problem
(well, it was slightly different, but the upshot was, Bluetooth didn't work
when I came back from suspend).

So I tried a suggestion written by someone else on this list, which was not
only to unload all of the Bluetooth modules, but also unload and reload the
USB modules. This DID work, at least with the Affix drivers. Perhaps the
same trick would work with the bluez drivers.

Basically I have a script which rmmod's all the affix modules, then rmmod's
all the usb modules I could find (usb-uhci, hid, ehci-hcd) --- though I don't
know if I really need to unload them all.

Doing a modprobe of those modules again caused the Affix drivers to come back
(though sometimes I have to do it twice, i.e., run the rmmod's then the
modprobes, then rmmod's again, then modprobes again).

Mitsu

On 03/03/2004 05:24 pm, Colin Pinkney wrote:
> Since the Zaurus does not have builtin Bluetooth, every Zaurus must use
> Bluetooth CF cards so we're able to eject the card and reinsert it. Nothing
> else brings it back (apart from a reboot of course), not even things like
> 'cardctl reset'. But at least the ejecting and reinserting can be automated
> which I put into a script that is run on every resume. I guess you don't
> have this option though if the Bluetooth device is built into your laptop.
>
> BTW the Affix Bluetooth drivers have no problem with suspending and
> resuming. Is your Bluetooth device supported by Affix?
>
> - --
> Colin Pinkney
> http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

http://www.syntheticzero.com/

by Paul Ionescu

Hi Mitsu,

On T40* the bluetooth adapter is an USB one, so you can try to remove
all USB modules before suspend, and load them again after resume.

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 05:02, Mitsu Hadeishi wrote:
> Hi, just thought I'd run this issue past you folks. I'm running the bluez
> stack and utilities from Debian unstable on kernel 2.4.22-x1 (Xandros Desktop
> 2) on a Thinkpad T40p. It seems to run fine when I first boot; I am able to
> discover other devices, they can discover me. I am a newbie trying to use
> this protocol stack; so I haven't yet gotten any applications to work yet.
> However, it seems to function, basically.
>
> The problem is bluez never seems to work again after a suspend/resume. I have
> tried shutting down the Bluetooth card (you can do with with Fn-F5 on a
> Thinkpad) before suspending, as well as doing hciconfig hci0 down, and even
> rmmod rfcomm, rmmod hci_usb (rmmod l2cap never seems to work) before
> suspending, and then modprobe them back afterwards. Though my machine does
> not hang or crash when coming back from suspend, the Bluetooth card never
> works again. hciconfig -a prints nothing.
>
> Interestingly, before I installed the bluez stack, whenever I hit Fn-F5 it
> would freeze my machine. Now, it doesn't freeze it, but correctly toggles
> the little LED saying Bluetooth is active/inactive. When bluez is working,
> Fn-F5 makes hciconfig -a report the device there, then Fn-F5 again will make
> hciconfig -a report nothing. But after a suspend/resume, Fn-F5 will *still*
> toggle the Bluetooth LED, but hciconfig -a never shows a card.
>
> Rebooting the system causes bluez to work again.
>
> Mitsu

by Colin Pinkney