2004-03-23 17:29:05

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Documentation for hcid.conf ?

Hi Edouard,

> Thanks! I wish I had enough time to take the job, unfortunately
> this is not the case. On the other hand, if you accept informal
> contributions I'm more than willing to send what I've been working on
> so far to the community. I've got a nice NAP setup working (in DUN and
> PAN mode), in a much more generic way than other examples I have found
> so far.

go ahead and post them to the mailing list.

> Otherwise, I way that someone called Fredrik Noring is also working
> on a hcid manpage, that looks fairly different from the current hcid
> distributed on the bluez homepage: is this a code branch or something
> ?

At the moment it is some kind of branch, but my plan is to integrate
most of his things into mainline.

Regards

Marcel

by Fredrik Noring

Hi Edouard

> Otherwise, I way that someone called Fredrik Noring is also working
> on a hcid manpage, that looks fairly different from the current hcid
> distributed on the bluez homepage: is this a code branch or something?

Yes. My version of hcid (at http://noring.nocrew.org/bluetooth/)
is extended and backwards compatible with current hcid. Important
improvements include:

1. A hcid DBus interface for Bluetooth device management
as well as device configuration management, key pair
management etc.

2. Plain text files for configuration storage. The current
hcid for example the binary file /etc/bluetooth/link_key
for paired keys. This file is based on a binary dump of
a struct and as such will be difficult to move accross
different architectures, compilers etc. This binary file
is automatically converted to a plain text file located
in /etc/bluetooth/keytab if this file does not already
exists.

3. A device name cache for paried devices, making it possible
to display the names of paired devices.

4. Persistant storage of configurations, by saving changes in
/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf, managed automatically by hcid.

5. A man page (hcid.1).

This makes it easier to write Bluetooth tools for Gnome/KDE/etc.

Fredrik