2004-04-05 01:26:14

by Rybalkin, Albert

Subject: RE: [Bluez-devel] Recent CSR BlueCore2 firmware

Already tried it. Of course, they don't have any firmware
updates. In fact, they seem to use a generic bluecore2
firmware in their usb dongle, since it has generic CSR
vendor/product ids.

It's probably a moot point, but just wondering why CSR
seems to be so restrictive about letting people update
firmware in their products? For instance, later releases
supposed to confirm to 1.2 specs, why not allowing free
access to it?
Thanks,
-albertr

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Holtmann [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 8:06 PM
To: Rybalkin, Albert
Cc: '[email protected]'

Hi Albert,

> I'm sorry if it's not the right place to ask questions
> like this, but I have a generic BlueCore2-base usb
> dongle that has an old firmware v1.75. I would like to
> update it to the recent CSR firmware release. I found a windows
> CSR firmware updater, but was not able to locate any
> firmware files. CSR doesn't seem to have it available on
> their web site either. Does anyone know where should I look at?
> Or can anyone who has a CSR BlueCore2 module with recent firmware
> be so kind to save a copy of firmware with windows updater
> and email it to me to albertr iral com? Thanks.

ask the manufacturer of your dongle.

Regards

Marcel

2004-04-05 07:36:32

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Albert,

> Already tried it. Of course, they don't have any firmware
> updates. In fact, they seem to use a generic bluecore2
> firmware in their usb dongle, since it has generic CSR
> vendor/product ids.

even if it is has a CSR chip in it does not mean it will accept every
firmware. Your firmware must be signed with the right key otherwise the
bootloader won't boot it.

> It's probably a moot point, but just wondering why CSR
> seems to be so restrictive about letting people update
> firmware in their products? For instance, later releases
> supposed to confirm to 1.2 specs, why not allowing free
> access to it?

Take a look at the mailing list archive. There is a detailed description
why they did it this way.

Regards

Marcel