2004-05-05 11:53:57

by Julien Campana

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Encryption, authentication with Bluez

Hi Everybody,

With the hciconfig tool, authentication and encryption can be switch to
on/off.
But if I well understood, this affects the local device and therefore
every future connection.
Is there any way to have two connections, one using authentication and
not the other?

Thank you for your answers,

Julien Campana

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Fred,

> Marcel, some time ago you said you were planning to add an ioctl to let
> regular users trigger an authentication request. Is this possible in the
> meantime? Or are there any reasons why this isn't a good idea?

I think the idea is still good, but I am not sure how we really handle
this inside the kernel. And right now I don't have enough time to think
about it. However I am happy to look at any patch that supports this
idea.

Regards

Marcel

by Fred Schaettgen

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 14:59, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Julien,
>
> > With the hciconfig tool, authentication and encryption can be switch to
> > on/off.
> > But if I well understood, this affects the local device and therefore
> > every future connection.
>
> if you switch auth and encrypt on with hciconfig or in hcid.conf then
> you are in security mode 3.
>
> > Is there any way to have two connections, one using authentication and
> > not the other?
>
> This is security mode 2 (also called service level security) and of
> course this is possible. You can trigger auth or switch encryption with
> hcitool.

Marcel, some time ago you said you were planning to add an ioctl to let
regular users trigger an authentication request. Is this possible in the
meantime? Or are there any reasons why this isn't a good idea?

It would be very useful for our KDE stuff (obex push -> no authentication,
other services -> authentication required). Otherwise I'd have to work around
it with a small suid helper to ask for authentication, but I really want to
avoid a hack like that.

regards
Fred

--