2004-06-30 15:22:58

by Dave Henriksen

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Ideal mru and mtu ?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what would be an ideal mru
and mtu for me to specify when using pppd over a bluetooth connection.

I am connecting to an access point that typically is quite busy, and has
two simultaneous connections (ppp clients) connected to it, mainly for
ftp transfer of files with an average size of 30K.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Dave

by James Cameron

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Ideal mru and mtu ?

An ideal MTU would be the largest that works over the total network path
from the FTP client to the FTP server.

pppd's mru option determines how it negotiates this option with the
peer. The negotiated mru forms the basis for the interface MTU. The
MTU can be changed up and down after interface creation, using "ifconfig
ppp0 mtu".

pppd running over bluetooth just believes it has a byte stream to the
peer. There may be bluetooth specific reasons to choose an MTU that
matches on the air packet sizes, in order to reduce latency, but if your
goal is mainly FTP my guess is that latency isn't important.

--
James Cameron http://quozl.netrek.org/
HP Open Source, Volunteer http://opensource.hp.com/