2004-08-13 20:08:48

by Erik Tews

Subject: [Bluez-devel] JSR-82 Implementation

Hi

Is there currently any implementation of the jsr-82 standard for linux,
so that I can use bluetooth from my java-application? Or for any other
(free) desktop-operating system? I have seen one for serial bluetooth
dongels on linux (but I got only usb ones) and for Windows XP. Are there
any other ones.

by Erik Tews

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] JSR-82 Implementation

Am Mo, den 16.08.2004 schrieb Alexandros Karypidis um 14:47:
> You might also have a look at:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/avetanabt/
>
> OBEX stuff is missing (we're working on wrapping around libopenobex) and
> will come around some time this fall.
>
> Also, keep in mind that is J2SE/BlueZ based. So if you're using some
> sort of J2ME implementation for Linux, it won't work, complaining about
> missing classes...

I am going to write a software where a j2me mobile phone (or a pda)
needs to talk to a server, which will be running linux and will be a
full featured pc. So I will got a j2se java on this system.

The Viewcvs on sourceforge is currently down and there is no homepage, I
will have a look at this project when it is back again?

I need no obex-stuff, just some rfcomm-channels.

by Alexandros Karypidis

On Monday 16 August 2004 15:02, Erik Tews wrote:

> Am Mo, den 16.08.2004 schrieb Stephen Crane um 12:02:
> > > Is there currently any implementation of the jsr-82 standard for
> > > linux, so that I can use bluetooth from my java-application? Or
> > > for any other (free) desktop-operating system? I have seen one
> > > for serial bluetooth dongels on linux (but I got only usb ones)
> > > and for Windows XP. Are there any other ones.
> >
> > You didn't mention whether it had to be free software or not
> > (however maybe your email address makes this unnecessary :-)
> >
> > Anyway Rococo has one which is free (as in beer) for students and
> > hobbyists. Have a look here:
> > http://www.rococosoft.com/products/impronto.html
>
> Well, free as in freedom would be better, but free beer is ok too.
>
> I think the sdk is what I was looking for, because I would like to
> know if my java-application is able to talk to a real world device.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is. -- Yogi Berra.

Alexandros Karypidis
UTH, Computer & Communications Eng. dept.

by Erik Tews

Am Mo, den 16.08.2004 schrieb Stephen Crane um 12:02:
> > Is there currently any implementation of the jsr-82 standard for linux,
> > so that I can use bluetooth from my java-application? Or for any other
> > (free) desktop-operating system? I have seen one for serial bluetooth
> > dongels on linux (but I got only usb ones) and for Windows XP. Are there
> > any other ones.
>
> You didn't mention whether it had to be free software or not (however
> maybe your email address makes this unnecessary :-)
>
> Anyway Rococo has one which is free (as in beer) for students and
> hobbyists. Have a look here:
> http://www.rococosoft.com/products/impronto.html

Well, free as in freedom would be better, but free beer is ok too.

I think the sdk is what I was looking for, because I would like to know
if my java-application is able to talk to a real world device.

by Stephen Crane

Hi Erik,

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 21:08, Erik Tews wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there currently any implementation of the jsr-82 standard for linux,
> so that I can use bluetooth from my java-application? Or for any other
> (free) desktop-operating system? I have seen one for serial bluetooth
> dongels on linux (but I got only usb ones) and for Windows XP. Are there
> any other ones.

You didn't mention whether it had to be free software or not (however
maybe your email address makes this unnecessary :-)

Anyway Rococo has one which is free (as in beer) for students and
hobbyists. Have a look here:
http://www.rococosoft.com/products/impronto.html

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)