2004-10-19 08:19:35

by [email protected]

Subject: [Bluez-devel] inquiry_info device class to string

Hi there

Im sort of new to bluetooth and bt development but its going ok so far=2E =
Im
writing a little tool which displays all current devices in range=2E Since=
my
code uses ripped parts from hcitool scan i can succesfully enumerate the
device address and name, my question is , how do I parse the device_class=

item from the inquiry_info structure ? Say device ID is 001, i want to
convert it to an human readable string like 001 =3D=3D Phone, 002 =3D=3D A=
udio
etc=2E=2E=2E where can i find an translation list for this ? after a heavy=
google
battle i found a PalmOS site which mentions the bluetooth specs, but the
prop is , i can find only parts of it and my 'bluetooth unreveiled' book i=
currently beeing shipped to me (i hope its mentioned there)=2E I hope im n=
ot
forced to use a sdptool query since some 'light' devices dont have it
onboard, like headsets etc

thanks for the help !

Ed=2E

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ed,

> Im sort of new to bluetooth and bt development but its going ok so far. Im
> writing a little tool which displays all current devices in range. Since my
> code uses ripped parts from hcitool scan i can succesfully enumerate the
> device address and name, my question is , how do I parse the device_class
> item from the inquiry_info structure ? Say device ID is 001, i want to
> convert it to an human readable string like 001 == Phone, 002 == Audio
> etc... where can i find an translation list for this ? after a heavy google
> battle i found a PalmOS site which mentions the bluetooth specs, but the
> prop is , i can find only parts of it and my 'bluetooth unreveiled' book is
> currently beeing shipped to me (i hope its mentioned there). I hope im not
> forced to use a sdptool query since some 'light' devices dont have it
> onboard, like headsets etc

it is not the Bluetooth specification directly. It is in the assigned
numbers document on the Bluetooth website:

https://www.bluetooth.org/foundry/assignnumb/document/baseband

Regards

Marcel

by Stephen Crane

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 09:19, [email protected] wrote:
> Im sort of new to bluetooth and bt development but its going ok so far. Im
> writing a little tool which displays all current devices in range. Since my
> code uses ripped parts from hcitool scan i can succesfully enumerate the
> device address and name, my question is , how do I parse the device_class
> item from the inquiry_info structure ? Say device ID is 001, i want to
> convert it to an human readable string like 001 == Phone, 002 == Audio
> etc... where can i find an translation list for this ? after a heavy google
> battle i found a PalmOS site which mentions the bluetooth specs, but the
> prop is , i can find only parts of it and my 'bluetooth unreveiled' book is
> currently beeing shipped to me (i hope its mentioned there). I hope im not
> forced to use a sdptool query since some 'light' devices dont have it
> onboard, like headsets etc

See hciconfig.c in bluez-utils.

Cheers,
Steve
--
Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)