2005-03-17 22:05:17

by Jack Bates

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Fwd: alsa bluetooth module

I maintain a Debian package of bluetooth-alsa - for my convenience -=20
but bluetooth-alsa is so popular, some others use this package also -=20
http://cgi.sfu.ca/~jdbates/moin/moin.cgi/Bluetooth&ALSA

Blasco contacted me with this problem, but truth is - I haven't got=20
bluetooth-alsa working myself. Perhaps someone else can be more helpful=20=

to him?

Many thanks!

Jack

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Antonio-Blasco Bonito <[email protected]>
> Date: March 17, 2005 4:02:35 AM PST
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: alsa bluetooth module

[...]

http://www.email.it/f
> Sponsor:
> Bisogno di liquidit=E0? Non devi spiegare per cosa. Fino a 4.000 =80 a=20=

> casa tua
> Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=3D2291&d=3D17-3

by Antonio-Blasco Bonito

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Fwd: alsa bluetooth module

Antonio-Blasco Bonito ha scritto:

> Fredrik Tolf ha scritto:
>
>> Try to check the output of `grep kcalloc /proc/kallsyms' and compare
>> that to the output of `nm /path/to/snd-bt-sco.ko | grep kcalloc'.
>>

> $ grep kcalloc /proc/kallsyms
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_opl3_lib]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_hwdep]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_mpu401_uart]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_rawmidi]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_seq_device]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_cs4231_lib]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_pcm_oss]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_mixer_oss]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_pcm]
> ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_timer]
> ce9fc4d8 r __kcrctab_snd_kcalloc [snd]
> ce9fc634 r __kstrtab_snd_kcalloc [snd]
> ce9fca40 r __ksymtab_snd_kcalloc [snd]
> ce9f6a40 T snd_kcalloc [snd]
> 4da9e78a a __crc_snd_kcalloc [snd]
>
> $ nm /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/extra/snd-bt-sco.ko |grep kcalloc
> U kcalloc

Having seen that, knowing almost nothing about that, I tried editing the
source code of the module btsco.c
I replaced the three occurrences of kcalloc with snd_kcalloc. It
compiled without errors. And then OK!!! ... I've been able to modprobe it.

# lsmod
Module Size Used by
sco 15108 0
isofs 37240 1
snd_bt_sco 13088 3
rfcomm 39420 3
l2cap 25796 7 rfcomm
ipv6 264644 12
ds 18756 4
appletalk 36628 20
lp 11176 0
snd_cs4236 18568 4
snd_opl3_lib 10656 1 snd_cs4236
snd_hwdep 9412 3 snd_bt_sco,snd_opl3_lib
snd_cs4236_lib 16896 1 snd_cs4236
snd_mpu401_uart 7968 1 snd_cs4236
snd_rawmidi 25124 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 8200 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
snd_cs4231_lib 27744 2 snd_cs4236,snd_cs4236_lib
snd_pcm_oss 55080 0
snd_mixer_oss 20096 4 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 98728 4
snd_bt_sco,snd_cs4236_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 25668 3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
snd 57156 20
snd_bt_sco,snd_cs4236,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_cs4236_lib,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 10336 4 snd
snd_page_alloc 11752 3 snd_bt_sco,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm

I get the address of my headset:
# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:0B:2E:30:9B:03 Motorola HS805

I connect it:

# btsco 00:0B:2E:30:9B:03
Device is 1:0 (here I'm asked to key in
the pin)
Voice setting: 0x0060
RFCOMM channel 1 connected
(I press the
connect button on the headset)
recieved AT+CKPD=200
opened hwdep
connected SCO channel
Setting sco fd
Done setting sco fd
recieved AT+VGS=09
Sending up speaker change 9

I can see the alsa audio device

# aplay -l
card 0: CS4239 [CS4239], device 0: CS4231 [CS4239]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Headset [BT Headset], device 0: Bluetooth SCO PCM [BT SCO PCM]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

But if I play some audio:
# aplay -t wav -B 1000000 -D plughw:Headset audiofile.wav

I hear nothing :-(
while syslog says:
Mar 19 23:41:57 localhost kernel: snd-bt-sco: playback_open
Mar 19 23:41:57 localhost kernel: snd-bt-sco: prepare ok bps: 16000
size: 16002 count: 4000
Mar 19 23:41:57 localhost kernel: snd-bt-sco: playback_trigger 1
Mar 19 23:41:57 localhost kernel: snd-bt-sco: setting playback to bspcm

I'm so close... what else I have to do now? Please...

Sponsor:

Solo 10 Euro per chiamare in tutto il mondo!! Scopri il vantaggio di Email Phone Card, clicca subito

Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2685&d=20-3

by Fredrik Tolf

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 00:33 +0100, Antonio-Blasco Bonito wrote:
> Fredrik Tolf ha scritto:
> >By no means. kcalloc() is a core kernel function, defined in mm/slab.c.
> >It's not an ALSA-specific routine.
> >

> No kcalloc in there... see the appended file from kernel-source-2.6.8

It does indeed seem that you're right. It seems the kcalloc was added in
either 2.6.9 or 2.6.10 (which surprises me, because I believe that the
snd-bt-sco module has been around longer than that). Now that I know
that, the module should be changed to use kmalloc instead. I'll take
care of that right now.

Fredrik Tolf

by Antonio-Blasco Bonito

Fredrik Tolf ha scritto:

>On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 14:05 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Begin forwarded message:
>>

>>>From: Antonio-Blasco Bonito <[email protected]>
>>>Date: March 17, 2005 4:02:35 AM PST
>>>To: [email protected]
>>>Subject: Re: alsa bluetooth module
>>>

>[...]
>

>>>I get:
>>># modprobe snd-bt-sco
>>>FATAL: Error inserting snd_bt_sco
>>>(/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/extra/snd-bt-sco.ko): Unknown symbol in
>>>module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>>
>>># dmesg|tail
>>>snd_bt_sco: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
>>>snd_bt_sco: Unknown symbol kcalloc
>>>

>Well, I'm not sure (especially since I don't use Debian and thus have no
>idea how they compile their kernels), but I would guess that this is a
>matter of symbol versioning. Is this module compiled against the same
>kernel (and with the same compilation options) that Blasco is using?

Yes. Running kernel is from debian package 2.6.8-2-686 and the module is
compiled against kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-686

>Try to check the output of `grep kcalloc /proc/kallsyms' and compare
>that to the output of `nm /path/to/snd-bt-sco.ko | grep kcalloc'.

$ grep kcalloc /proc/kallsyms
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_opl3_lib]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_hwdep]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_mpu401_uart]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_rawmidi]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_seq_device]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_cs4231_lib]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_pcm_oss]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_mixer_oss]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_pcm]
ce9f6a40 U snd_kcalloc [snd_timer]
ce9fc4d8 r __kcrctab_snd_kcalloc [snd]
ce9fc634 r __kstrtab_snd_kcalloc [snd]
ce9fca40 r __ksymtab_snd_kcalloc [snd]
ce9f6a40 T snd_kcalloc [snd]
4da9e78a a __crc_snd_kcalloc [snd]

$ nm /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/extra/snd-bt-sco.ko |grep kcalloc
U kcalloc

>>>I looked in alsa sources in the kernel and I only found
>>>"snd_magic_kcalloc"
>>>Maybe kcalloc calls should be renamed as such?
>>>

>By no means. kcalloc() is a core kernel function, defined in mm/slab.c.
>It's not an ALSA-specific routine.

No kcalloc in there... see the appended file from kernel-source-2.6.8

Blasco

Sponsor:

Con la Pietra Naturale puoi grigliare carne, pesce e verdura direttamente in tavola!

Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2743&d=19-3

Attachments:
slab.c (79.81 kB)

2005-03-17 22:42:09

by Fredrik Tolf

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 14:05 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> I maintain a Debian package of bluetooth-alsa - for my convenience -
> but bluetooth-alsa is so popular, some others use this package also -
> http://cgi.sfu.ca/~jdbates/moin/moin.cgi/Bluetooth&ALSA
>
> Blasco contacted me with this problem, but truth is - I haven't got
> bluetooth-alsa working myself.

Regarding that -- I assume your problem is still getting snd-hwdep as a
module, as you stated on the website? I'm just wondering; can't you just
add one of those modules that require snd-hwdep and not care whether
it's actually being used later on? As long as it gets snd-hwdep built...

Fredrik Tolf

by Brad Midgley

hi

I have never seen the kcalloc error. Kernel taint is a bad sign... can
he reproduce it without loading anything that taints the kernel?

brad

[email protected] wrote:
> I maintain a Debian package of bluetooth-alsa - for my convenience - but
> bluetooth-alsa is so popular, some others use this package also -
> http://cgi.sfu.ca/~jdbates/moin/moin.cgi/Bluetooth&ALSA
>
> Blasco contacted me with this problem, but truth is - I haven't got
> bluetooth-alsa working myself. Perhaps someone else can be more helpful
> to him?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Jack
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Antonio-Blasco Bonito <[email protected]>
>> Date: March 17, 2005 4:02:35 AM PST
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: alsa bluetooth module
>

> [...]
>
>> I get:
>> # modprobe snd-bt-sco
>> FATAL: Error inserting snd_bt_sco
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/extra/snd-bt-sco.ko): Unknown symbol in
>> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>
>> # dmesg|tail
>> snd_bt_sco: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
>> snd_bt_sco: Unknown symbol kcalloc
>>
>> I looked in alsa sources in the kernel and I only found
>> "snd_magic_kcalloc"
>> Maybe kcalloc calls should be renamed as such?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Blasco
>> --
>> Email.it, the professional e-mail, gratis per te: http://www.email.it/f
>> Sponsor:
>> Bisogno di liquidit?? Non devi spiegare per cosa. Fino a 4.000 ? a
>> casa tua
>> Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2291&d=17-3

by Brad Midgley

hi

regarding the text on your page at
http://cgi.sfu.ca/~jdbates/moin/moin.cgi/Bluetooth&ALSA

> A Bluetooth headset ALSA driver is apparently available - [WWW] http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~jp/snd-bt-sco/
>
> The bluetooth-alsa project is now on SourceForge - [WWW] http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/ - I don't know its relationship to the old link.

the sourceforge project supercedes the jp version.

> snd_bt_sco: Unknown symbol snd_hwdep_new

select emu10k1 support and the kernel will pull in snd_hwdep_new. i
think the alsa folks are trying to deprecate snd_hwdep_new but i haven't
looked into what replaces it...

brad

by Fredrik Tolf