2005-09-18 06:37:53

by Fredrik Noring

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Multiple user/device model?

Hi,

Can multiple users have different sets of Bluetooth devices? I.e.
something like this:

/home/peter/.bluetooth/devices/00:11:22:33:44:55/linkkeys
/home/maria/.bluetooth/devices/99:88:77:66:55:44/linkkeys

With the following properties:

1. User pairing and device management don't require
administrative (root) privileges.
2. Peter cannot remove/modify Maria's devices and vice versa.
3. Would be excellent if Peter and Maria could use Bluetooth
simultaneously, but good enough if only one at the time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Fredrik

by Claudio Takahasi

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Multiple user/device model?

Hi Fredrik,

I sent a lot of emails about bluetoothd specification, but I didn't
receive enough feedbacks. bluetoothd will be the main entity
responsible to handle user requests(connections, device setup,
security, ...).

Currently, we are working on hcid D-Bus services. hcid is our
playground for validate some ideas. I developed a internal version
of the bluetoothd, but I need align with bluez community and
use the new communication interface (between kernel and the userspace)
that is being developed.

There is docs about bluetoothd available at:
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~ckt/bluez

Your feedback is welcome!

Regards,
Claudio.

On 9/21/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Fredrik,
>
> > > the idea is not bad, but it will never work this way. This is because
> > > how the Bluetooth security architecture is designed. We need a central
> > > root service that deals with the kernel side of HCI. However the
> control
> > > of pairing etc. for users will be handled over D-Bus.
> >
> > Ah. Is there any documentation on how this D-BUS interface works?
>
> Claudio has written something, but nothing is written in stone.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

(No filename) (1.62 kB)
(No filename) (2.27 kB)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Fredrik,

> > the idea is not bad, but it will never work this way. This is because
> > how the Bluetooth security architecture is designed. We need a central
> > root service that deals with the kernel side of HCI. However the control
> > of pairing etc. for users will be handled over D-Bus.
>
> Ah. Is there any documentation on how this D-BUS interface works?

Claudio has written something, but nothing is written in stone.

Regards

Marcel

by Fredrik Noring

Hi Marcel,