2006-08-18 20:14:01

by Iain Hibbert

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bluez-firmware-1.2.tar.gz licence

Hi,
I was wondering what the licence terms were on the bluez-firmware
tarball, can anybody say?

The only 'licence' I see there is a GPLv2 file but surely that does not
cover the firmware files?

What I have done is create a program to load the broadcom firmware for
NetBSD, and have created a pkgsrc package to bind it all together, so I'm
wondering if I should limit the redistribution of

a) the bluez-firmware-1.2.tar.gz file, and

b) the binary package which will contain BCM2033-MD.hex,
BCM2033-FW.bin and BCM-LEGAL.txt

since it is possible that either could end up on mirror sites.

thanks,
iain
(I'm not subscribed to this list, please include me in replies)

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] bluez-firmware-1.2.tar.gz licence

Hi Iain,

> I was wondering what the licence terms were on the bluez-firmware
> tarball, can anybody say?
>
> The only 'licence' I see there is a GPLv2 file but surely that does not
> cover the firmware files?
>
> What I have done is create a program to load the broadcom firmware for
> NetBSD, and have created a pkgsrc package to bind it all together, so I'm
> wondering if I should limit the redistribution of
>
> a) the bluez-firmware-1.2.tar.gz file, and
>
> b) the binary package which will contain BCM2033-MD.hex,
> BCM2033-FW.bin and BCM-LEGAL.txt
>
> since it is possible that either could end up on mirror sites.

we have permission from Broadcom and ST to distribute these firmware
files. I am still missing permission from AVM and 3Com for their files.

Non of the firmware files are GPL. The package itself is GPL, but this
only covers some configure and Makefile data. The binary blobs are
copyright by the manufacturers. You can contact Broadcom at any time to
let them clarify this. There is an email address in the BCM-LEGAL.txt
file.

Regards

Marcel